Burt H. Whitt is the Chairman of the firm’s Labor and Employment Practice Group. Burt has extensive experience exclusively representing management in all matters involving the employer-employee relationship.
He routinely represents and counsels employers in wrongful discharge claims, accusations of discrimination or harassment, covenants not-to-compete, and government audits of employment practices.
Burt and his team offer employers one on one counseling as well as management training, including the widely recognized and well-attended Employment Law Update. These proactive measures help employers save time, money and energy by avoiding litigation.
- Wake Forest University; B.A., magna cum laude, 1974
- University of Virginia School of Law; J.D., 1978
- American Bar Association; Labor and Employment Law Section, Litigation Section
- Virginia Bar Association; Initial member of Governing Council, Chairman of the Labor and Employment Law Section, 1994-1995
- Virginia Law Foundation; Chairman of CLE Labor and Employment Law Committee, 1996-2005
- Norfolk-Portsmouth Bar Association
- Litigated numerous wrongful discharge cases establishing the rights of Virginia employers
- Handled many covenant not-to-compete cases, including a number of cases that have reached the Virginia Supreme Court
- Defended employers against claims under federal anti-discrimination laws
- Defended against attempts to enforce invalid covenants on behalf of new employers
Rate : $$$