Michael Chitwood is a corporate attorney with a practice focused on public and private acquisitions and divestitures, cross-border transactions, private equity transactions, and corporate and securities law matters.
He has represented acquirers and targets in a number of U.S. and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, takeovers, re-domiciliation transactions, joint ventures and leveraged buyouts. Mr. Chitwood also regularly advises clients with respect to corporate governance and compliance matters, SEC reporting obligations, takeover preparedness and general corporate matters.
Mr. Chitwood has represented a diverse range of clients in a broad range of industries, including:
- Becton, Dickinson & Company in:
- its $12.2 billion acquisition of CareFusion Corp. (for which Mr. Chitwood was named Dealmaker of the Week by The American Lawyer); and
- the separation of its global respiratory business into a new joint venture with Apax Partners;
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. in:
- the spin-off of its electronic materials division into a separate public company known as Versum Materials, Inc.; and
- the $3.8 billion sale of its specialty materials division to Evonik;
- Endo International plc and its predecessor companies in numerous transactions, including in its:
- $8.1 billion acquisition of Par Pharmaceutical Holdings, Inc. (for which Mr. Chitwood was named Dealmaker of the Week by The American Lawyer);
- $1.6 billion acquisition of Paladin Labs through the formation of a new Irish holding company, Endo International plc; and
- Medtronic in the $487 million sale of its Physio-Control division to affiliates of Bain Capital;
- Amerigroup Corporation in its $4.9 billion acquisition by WellPoint;
- Dow Jones & Company in its $675 million financial index joint venture with CME Group; and
- Pacific Equity Partners Pty Limited in connection with its leveraged acquisition of an 82 percent stake in The American Stock Transfer & Trust Company for $1 billion.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2002
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, 1995
Admissions : New York
Rate : $$$$