C. Thomas Kruse has more than two decades’ worth of trial experience along with appeals and arbitration of complex commercial matters. He has represented clients before the ICC Court of Arbitration as well as in AAA arbitration. He clerked for the Hon. Ricardo H. Hinojosa in the US District Court for the Southern District of Texas from 1989 to 1990.
Tom is board-certified in Civil Trial Law by The Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He has been recognized professionally numerous times by legal institutions and directories, including Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
Tom’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, appeals and high-value arbitration. He is highly experienced in representing clients in financial, energy, engineering/EPC and oil field services industries.
Tom routinely advises clients in a number of matters involving both long-term and short-term implications, including advising clients before disputes arise. A supremely skilled litigator, he is also adept at keeping his clients’ proceedings out of litigation where possible.
- Vanderbilt University Law School (JD) (1989)
- University of St. Andrews (Bobby Jones Scholar) (1986)
- Emory University (BA Economics) (1985)
- U.S. Court of International Trade~United States (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2005)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2001)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1994)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association – Member
- Texas State Bar – Member
- Texas State Foundation – Life Fellow
- Houston Bar Association – Life Fellow
Representative Legal Matters:
- Acting as lead trial counsel in an investigation and a Texas District Court lawsuit pursuing claims for a global upstream oil and gas services company against parties involved in misappropriation of funds, trade secrets, and misuse of company resources. The case is pending after two proceedings taken to the Texas Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defended, as lead trial counsel, a lawsuit against an international engineering firm for over USD 33 million in damages over the design and engineering of a petrochemical plant. The case was dismissed with no payment by his client after a year of investigations and litigation.
- Defended and obtained a dismissal of claims by the US Department of Justice for over USD 42 million, in fines and penalties, over cross-border matters against a major automobile manufacturer. The DOJ dismissed all of its claims after motions, discovery and depositions.
- Obtained a jury verdict for the plaintiff in a US District Court in Houston, Texas case involving minority shareholder oppression and breach of fiduciary duty. Collected more than USD 6 million in stock and patent portfolios for the client after entry of the judgment.
Rate : $$$