Candace L. Matson is a partner in Sheppard Mullin’s Los Angeles office where she is a member of the Business Trials, Real Estate, and Finance & Bankruptcy Practice Groups, and leads the firm’s Chambers and Best Law Firms ranked Construction Team.
Ms. Matson represents owners, lenders, investment funds, contractors, design professionals and others as an advocate in a wide range of private and public contexts relating to design and construction. Ms. Matson serves as an arbitrator and mediator of construction disputes, both privately and through the auspices of various ADR providers. The subject of such representation includes:
- Preconstruction phase: assistance with requests for proposals and bid packages; prosecuting and defending against bid protests; negotiation, drafting and review of build-to-suit agreements, contracts for construction, architectural and engineering services, construction management, and procurement services; advice regarding construction loans, insurance (title and liability), surety issues and licensing.
- Construction phase: advice regarding contract compliance, project documentation, and mechanics lien law; early dispute resolution.
- Post-construction phase: mediation, arbitration and litigation of disputes, including extra and changed work claims; delay, disruption and acceleration claims; design professionals liens, mechanics liens and stop payment notice claims; construction defect claims; insurance and surety bond claims; assistance with title insurance issues, including obtaining defense, indemnity and clean title.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1989
- M.S., California Lutheran University, 1980
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1977
Admissions : California
- Member, CEB Real Property Advisory Committee
- Member and Former Chair, Construction Subsection, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member and Former Chair, Legal Advisory Committee, Associated General Contractors of California
- Former Executive Board Member, Women Construction Owners & Executives, USA (California Chapter)
- Board of Governors Member, Former Co-President, LGBT Bar Association of Los Angeles
- Member, Sheppard Mullin Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Council
- Former Trustee, Global AIDS Interfaith Alliance
Rate : $$$