Carlo L. Rodes is a commercial litigator, focusing his practice on consumer financial services litigation. He is experienced in representing lenders, servicers, and other financial institutions across numerous state and federal jurisdictions in disputes involving a wide range of financial products and instruments, with a focus on mortgage litigation.
Carlo’s practice also covers representing broker-dealers and investment advisors in consumer disputes, and he handles complex business disputes involving tort and contract claims on behalf of business clients across various industries.
Carlo helps manage a team that handles hundreds of third-party, pre-litigation, and litigation matters across the country for a large financial services client. The project was highly commended in 2016 by the Financial Times for its legal innovation.
Carlo has extensive litigation and courtroom experience, handling cases through all procedural phases, including mediation, dispositive motions, trial, and appeal in state and federal court. He has also successfully defended and resolved consumer class actions for banking clients in the mortgage space.
In the pro bono context, Carlo represents indigent parents seeking custody of their children who are pursuing Special Juvenile Immigrant Status. Carlo serves on the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and is part of the firm’s Hispanic-Latino Lawyers Network.
- Obtained pre-certification voluntary dismissal of mortgage servicing class action for Fortune 30 financial institution related to calculation of interest on principal prepayments.
- Successfully removed mortgage servicing class action for Fortune 30 financial institution to federal court and obtained dismissal with prejudice on motion to dismiss. Case involved a challenge to the client’s HELOC terms and whether they imposed an improper penalty.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal with prejudice of protracted lawsuit against Fortune 30 financial institution after deposing the Plaintiff and getting him to admit on the record that his claim was premised on him impersonating a deceased former customer of the client.
- National counsel to Fortune 30 broker-dealer, managing and defending third-party and first-party litigation matters as well as advising on pre-litigation matters.
- Representation of hazardous waste remediation client in dispute concerning pre-merger allegations of fraud and securities act violations, and breach of stock purchase agreement.
- First-chaired bench trial for indigent parent seeking permanent custody of her minor child. Obtained permanent custody order, permitting child to pursue Special Juvenile Immigrant Status and remain in this country.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, JD, magna cum laude, Articles Editor, Notre Dame Law Review, 2009
- University of California Berkeley, BA, Philosophy and Economics, 2004
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Rate : $$$$