Carlos F. Concepción has served as counsel in a wide range of domestic and international litigation and arbitration matters. He concentrates his practice in the areas of financial services, design and construction, telecommunications and transnational disputes involving parties from multiple jurisdictions.
He has substantial experience with multilingual and multicultural teams, which provides a strategic advantage in dealing with parties and evidence from different legal systems, especially in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Carlos also represents parties in international arbitrations in a number of industries. He has worked with all the leading arbitration organizations and has conducted proceedings in Spanish and English in which the seat of the arbitration and governing laws has been in multiple countries. He also has experience under the UNCITRAL Rules and the International Bar Association Rules.
He also has served as lead counsel in international corporate investigations and special litigation committees. For example, he led an internal investigation and litigation team representing a special litigation committee in the failure of a major bank in Puerto Rico and a related shareholder derivative action.
In addition, Carlos was lead counsel for several Canadian investors in a multidistrict litigation dispute regarding a timeshare resort in the Dominican Republic.
Carlos is cognizant of the differences in cases governed by civil law or common law. For example, parties from a civil law system may have discovery expectations that are quite different from those accustomed to expansive pre-trial discovery.
Carlos is a member of numerous organizations, including the International Chamber of Commerce, the International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, the International Bar Association, the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel and the International Center for Dispute Resolution.
He also is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), which is the highest level of arbitration training and experience recognized by that institution.
- Lead counsel for claimant in a dispute related to violation of various investment treaties between Panama and the United States. The amount in dispute is US$100 million; proceedings are in Washington, D.C. and Panama.
- Lead counsel for petitioner in a dispute between the two controlling shareholders of a multilevel vitamin and herbal supplement company doing business in Latin America, Mexico and the United States. The amount in dispute was US$500 million; proceedings were in New York City and Mexico City.
- Lead counsel for respondent in a dispute between a U.K. company and a Florida company related to media and entertainment services. The amount in dispute was US$10 million; proceedings were in London and Miami.
- Arbitrator for financial statement fraud case between accounting and auditing firm and bankruptcy trustee. The seat of the arbitration was in Los Angeles.
- Sole arbitrator for software licensing dispute between Latin American distributor and U.S. company. The amount in dispute was US$10 million; proceedings in Miami and Costa Rica.
- Arbitrator for dispute between Puerto Rico companies regarding media and publishing services. The amount in dispute was US$16 million; proceedings were in Puerto Rico.
- Arbitrator for a dispute between telecommunications companies in Spain and El Salvador. The amount in dispute was US$50 million; proceedings were in El Salvador and Miami.
- Lead counsel for petitioner in dispute involving financing of durable medical equipment products in Latin America. The amount in dispute was US$30 million; proceedings were in Miami and Puerto Rico.
- J.D., with high honors, University of Florida. 1982
- B.A., magna cum laude, Florida State University, 1979 (English)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- International Chamber of Commerce
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution
- International Center for Dispute Resolution
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- International Bar Association
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Miami International Arbitration Society
- Chair (2019 Term)
- Board of Trustees of the University of Florida Law School Association, Member
Rate : $$$$