Carmen I. Tugender’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, construction, product liability, and appellate work. She has litigated diverse matters in state and federal court, the American Arbitration Association (AAA), and other arbitration tribunals. She is also a member of the Chinese Drywall Team.
Notable Work :
- Special Assessments: Represented a country club in trial court and on appeal regarding a special assessment imposed on the country club for “security services” by a municipality, which sought to shift the burden of ad valorem taxation for police services to the country club. Indian Creek Country Club v. Indian Creek Village, 211 So. 3d 230 (Fla. 3d DCA 2017).
- Chinese Drywall: Represented builders and developers in state and federal court (multi-district litigation) related to claims of allegedly defective Chinese drywall.
- Contract Zoning Dispute: Represented big box retailer in the state and federal courts regarding the denial of a site plan within the context of a contract zoning dispute. Wal-Mart Stores East L.P. v. Town of Davie, 977 So. 2d 636 (Fla. 4th DCA, 2008)
- Homeowner Disclosures: Represented large well known developer on the interpretation of a state statute requiring certain disclosures which have to be given to homeowners acquiring homes in a subdivision subject to declarations of covenants, including the majority of new homes in most markets.
- Construction Litigation: Represented owners, contractors, and subcontractors on claims of complex construction defect litigation, fraudulent construction liens, and breach of contract.
- Zoning: Represented a large well known developer in action involving local zoning codes and variances brought by a neighboring homeowner.
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1998, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Entertainment and Sports Law Review
- B.S., University of Florida, 1983
Bar Admissions : Florida; New Jersey
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- American Bar Association, Member
- Cuban-American Bar Association, Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- The Florida Bar, Member
- Put Something Back, Volunteer Pro Bono Attorney
- Volunteer Lawyer’s Project for the Southern District of Florida, Volunteer Pro Bono Attorney
Rate : $$$