Caroline Van Ness is a litigation attorney whose practice focuses on commercial civil litigation in state and federal court on behalf of a broad and diversified client base. Ms. Van Ness has experience defending corporations and their officers and directors in all phases of civil and regulatory litigation, including matters alleging securities and consumer protection violations, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duties.
Ms. Van Ness serves on the Los Angeles hiring committee and mentors junior associates through the firm’s Mentor Program. Ms. Van Ness’s experience includes the following select representations:
- CashCall, Inc. and its CEO in an action brought by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau involving a novel theory of liability under the Consumer Financial Protection Act’s prohibition on unfair, deceptive and abusive acts or practices; in multiple state regulatory investigations and actions; and in several putative and certified borrower class actions;
- a publicly listed “large cap” internet portal and content provider in an arbitral injunction action stemming from a contract dispute;
- a pre-revenue biopharmaceutical company and certain of its officers and directors in securities class actions and derivative actions;
- the former CEO of Qualstar Corporation in litigation alleging breaches of fiduciary duties; and
- Toyota Motor Corporation and Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. in bellwether trials against Toyota in California Superior Court by individuals who allegedly suffered personal injuries due to purported defects.
Ms. Van Ness also maintains an active pro bono practice, including the following select representations:
- a prisoner alleging Section 1983 claims before the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, obtaining partial reversal; and
- tenants of a residential hotel located near Skid Row in Los Angeles in an action against the building’s owner based on alleged violations of housing and civil rights laws. The settlement, reached days before trial, provided plaintiffs with monetary compensation and comprehensive injunctive relief.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 2011
- B.A., University of Chicago, 2006
Admissions : California
Rate : $$$