As a leading litigator and a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, Carolyn Kubota has handled more than 20 jury and bench trials in state and federal courts. In her practice, Ms. Kubota is focused on civil and criminal trials, white collar criminal defense, and high stakes business litigation, with particular emphasis on the pharmaceutical industry.
Ms. Kubota has a depth of experience representing domestic and international companies in investigatory matters including Attorney General- and other government-led investigations of alleged consumer fraud; false public reporting; violations of the FCPA and the Anti-Kickback Statute; and other alleged wrongdoing.
Ms. Kubota served for 12 years as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Los Angeles U.S. Attorney’s Office. There, she successfully represented the United States in complex criminal trials. She also served as Deputy Chief of the Major Frauds Section, supervising the investigation and prosecution of financial fraud cases.
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1982
- Cornell University, B.A., 1979
Government Service : U.S. Department of Justice – U.S. Attorney’s Office
Bar Admissions : California
Representative Matters :
- National counsel for a major pharmaceutical company in connection with consumer fraud allegations arising out of the sale and marketing of the company’s mesh implant products. The matters include a multi-state investigation by 43 state Attorneys General and lawsuits by four attorneys general arising from the multi-state investigation.
- National counsel for the United States Olympic Committee in a series of cases in which former Olympic athletes contend that the USOC should be held liable for abuse by former USA Gymnastics physician, Dr. Larry Nassar.
- Rosenblood v. Discus Dental. Represented Discus and three of its major shareholders against claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty by a shareholder and former officer and director of Discus. Following a bench trial in Los Angeles County Superior Court, the court rejected the plaintiff’s claims and entered a defense verdict. Recognized by The Daily Journal as one of the “Top Defense Verdicts of 2009.”
- Represented an international agricultural company in an internal investigation of potential FCPA violations by the company’s Australian affiliate engaged in exports to China and Russia.
- Represented a prestigious Southern California college in an internal investigation related to the false public reporting of admissions data by a member of the College’s senior admissions staff.
Previous Experience :
- Partner at an international law firm practicing in the White Collar Practice Group.
- Ms. Kubota taught trial advocacy for two years as a clinical professor at the UCLA School of Law.
- Los Angeles U.S. Attorney’s Office, Assistant U.S. Attorney
Rate : $$$