Carolyn V. Metnick concentrates her practice on the privacy and security of health information and HIPAA compliance. Carolyn works with covered entities and business associates in complying with HIPAA and the HITECH Act through the development of policies and procedures and workforce training.
She also counsels businesses in data breach investigations and compliance with other federal and state breach notification laws. Carolyn regularly advises clients on their privacy and security compliance and assists businesses in responding to cyberattacks and other security breaches.
Carolyn serves as co-chair of Akerman’s Privacy, Cybersecurity, and Emerging Technologies Practice and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US). Carolyn also advises healthcare providers on transactions and business issues.
She guides clients through joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and counsels on governance matters, as well as regulatory issues, including compliance with the federal fraud and abuse laws, including the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute. Carolyn’s background as a former litigator helps inform her transactional work.
- LL.M., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2007
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2003, The Advocate, Associate Editor & Staff Writer
- B.A., University of Chicago, 2000
Bar Admissions : California; Illinois; Minnesota
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois – Trial Bar
Professional Experience :
- University of Illinois-Chicago, School of Public Health Division of Health Policy & Administration, Adjunct Instructor, February 2013-Present
- American Arbitration Association (AAA) Panel of Arbitrators
- Certified Law Clerk, Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office, San Jose, California, 2003
- Certified Law Clerk, San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office, Redwood City, California, 2002
- American Heart Association Go Red For Women Campaign, Executive Leadership Team Member, 2018 – Present
- American Health Lawyers Association, Vice-Chair, Business Law & Governance Practice Group, 2012-Present; Co-Chair Governance Affinity Group, Business Law & Governance Practice Group, July 2009-May 2012
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, Board Member, January 2014-Present; Secretary, 2017
- Illinois State Bar Association, Health Law Section Council, Member, June 2006-Present; Chair, 2013-2014; Vice Chair, 2012-2013; Associate Editor of Health Care Lawyer, 2007-2008; Member of Standing Committee on Mental Health Law, June 2006-June 2009; Member of Standing Committee on Professional Conduct, June 2006-June 2008
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, 2017
- The Junior League of Chicago, Member, July 2004-Present; New Member Chair-Elect, 2009-2010; Corporate Relations Chair, 2007-2009
- ILHIE Legal Task Force Patient Consent Subcommittee, 2011-2012
- Chicago Bar Association, YLS Health & Hospital Law Committee Co-Chair, August 2006-2009
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, Child Representative/Guardian Ad Litem, Distinguished Service Award, 2007
- St. Vincent de Paul Center, Associate Board President, May 2005-June 2007; Associate Board Member, 2004-2007
Rate : $$$$