Carrie Garber Siegrist advises nonprofit organizations on corporate and tax-exempt status issues. She counsels public charities, trade and professional associations, social welfare organizations, advocacy and issue organizations, education organizations, and private foundations.
Carrie also serves new and established nonprofit organizations as outside general counsel on tax, governance, contracting and operations matters while leveraging Faegre Baker Daniels’ extensive legal and government relations teams to provide comprehensive and efficient solutions to clients’ needs.
Tax-exempt organizations are permitted to engage in varying levels of lobbying and political campaign activities. Understanding these limits and utilizing affiliated structures allows organizations to scale their impact. Carrie guides organizations in the creation and operation of affiliated structures to utilize each tax status effectively (e.g., 501(c)(3)/(4) and 501(c)(3)/(6) affiliations).
Additionally, Carrie frequently advises nonprofit organizations on lobbying activity compliance under the Internal Revenue Code and applicable federal and state lobbying laws. She counsels nonprofit organizations on engaging in the political process including the making of political campaign contributions.
Carrie provides governance, tax, structuring and corporate transaction advice to trade and professional association clients of a variety of sizes and focus areas. Her association clients also benefit from working with Carrie’s FaegreBD colleagues on antitrust compliance, government relations and contracts, labor and employment issues, intellectual property management, real estate holdings, litigation, and others matters for comprehensive legal support.
Building on her international work experience, Carrie supports domestic and foreign organizations – both nonprofit and for-profit public and private companies – operating internationally in a variety of ways.
Carrie has a rich understanding of nonprofit organizations from her background working for and with a variety of nonprofit organizations including the Public International Law and Policy Group and the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation. Carrie also co-founded Cambodia’s Children Education Fund. Prior to law school, Carrie taught fifth grade in The Bronx through Teach for America.
- American University Washington College of Law, J.D. cum laude, Moot Court Honor Society (2010)
- Bank Street College of Education, M.S.Ed. in General Childhood Education (2007)
- Bates College, B.A. in Political Economy of Labor (2005)
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, New Jersey
Court Admissions : U.S. Tax Court
Professional Associations :
- American Bar Association — Business Law Section, Nonprofit Organizations Subcommittee, Trade Association and Professional Organizations Subcommittee (Vice-Chair); Taxation Section, Exempt Organizations Subcommittee
- District of Columbia Bar Association — Tax-Exempt Organizations Community
Civic Activities :
- Del Ray Montessori School — Board of Directors, 2017-present
- Cambodia’s Children Education Fund — Co-Founder, Board of Directors 2007-14
- Teachers Across Borders 2006, 2007
Rate : $$$