Caryl Smith’s practice focuses on tax exempt governmental, private activity and 501(c)(3) finance. Caryl has more than 28 years of experience in the public finance sector focusing primarily on bond counsel representation for cities, counties and statutorily and constitutionally created authorities. Caryl has focused extensively on 501(c)(3) financings and affordable housing development.
- JD, University of Georgia School of Law, cum laude, Managing Editor, The Georgia Law Review, 1982
- BA, University of Georgia, summa cum laude, 1979
Bar Admission : Georgia
- Represented a multijurisdictional authority as bond counsel and issuer’s counsel in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of a tax-backed, tax-exempt revenue bond issue and a taxable revenue bond issue for the construction of a major sports arena with associated public infrastructure improvements; this engagement included drafting tax legislation for approval by the state legislature body.
- Bond counsel to 501(c)(3) organizations in connection with university and research capital projects.
- Bond counsel to numerous development authorities and housing authorities in connection with both tax-exempt and taxable transactions for economic, industrial development and affordable housing projects.
- Represents large county and city governments in connection with general obligation and revenue bond financings.
- Bond counsel to numerous Georgia local housing authorities in connection with their issuance of multifamily housing revenue bonds.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Atlanta Bar Association
- Director, Georgia Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Trustees – Fernbank Museum of Natural History, 2001-2011
Rate : $$$