Named a 2016 “Colorado Lawyer of the Year” by Law Week Colorado, Casie D. Collignon has achieved significant accomplishments in class action litigation, thereby limiting exposure and business risks for her clients.
Casie views class action defense with professional maturity, from a business perspective first and a litigation perspective second, taking whatever avenue is most advantageous to get the results her clients desire.
While zealous representation is often accompanied by aggressive legal strategy, she also believes there is a time and place for cooperation in most litigation contexts. This approach has led to substantive and economic rewards for her clients.
In the data privacy area, Casie assists clients with their most complex issues, including data breach and other privacy-related class actions. She is often sought out to represent healthcare companies, businesses with substantial online services and business in the social media space.
With little precedent for certification in such cases, class actions are particularly challenging because damages are pursued based on statutory penalties with no individual damage requirements. Casie’s practice also includes complex business litigation experience, involving litigation surrounding the insurance, consumer, financial services and oil and gas industries.
In this respect, Casie works closely with her clients to understand the history, context and practicalities underlying any given dispute. It is her experience that these intangibles are just as important as the legal precedent in any litigation involving these industries.
- Successfully achieved dismissal of case against the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and Cleveland Clinic in a putative class action brought against Facebook and various hospital systems and healthcare-related institutions that alleged certain healthcare institutions violated state and federal laws by transmitting information about consumers’ online browsing history to Facebook.
- Played crucial liaison role in putative nationwide plaintiff and defendant class action alleging consumer, antitrust and RICO claims against more than 100 property and casualty insurers. Worked with more than 100 defense counsel to organize a coordinated defense strategy for dismissal of all claims.
- Successfully dismissed class action lawsuit in multimillion-dollar ERISA breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit in North Dakota federal court against one of the largest hotel chain owners in the United States. Case was of particular importance due to strategy of waiting until class was certified to bring a dispositive motion so that the motion would be preclusive to the entire class. Claims were dismissed with prejudice without leave to amend.
- Played crucial role in achieving early class action settlement for major auto insurance company in federal court in Kentucky. After settlement, the plaintiffs successfully certified class against the remaining defendants, and certification order was upheld by Sixth Circuit.
- Successfully litigated oil and gas lease dispute, including negotiation of a new oil and gas lease that was more financially beneficial to the client in a Wyoming state court dispute.
- Successfully defended financial services company in a partition trial, securing lien priority and preventing unfavorable foreclosure of property.
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association, Class Actions, Derivative Suits and Mass Torts Subsection: Chair
- Denver Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division: Former President
- Volunteer Lawyer of the Year Award (2007)
Community : Denver Urban Debate League: Co-Founding Board Member
- J.D., University of Denver Sturm College of Law, 2003; Managing Editor, Denver University Law Review; Recipient, award for outstanding academic achievement in legal ethics
- B.A., University of Missouri, Kansas City, 1999; Member, National Champion Debate Team
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2007
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
Rate : $$$$