Cassandra C. Collins co-leads the firm’s Energy Litigation practice group and her practice includes a broad range of commercial litigation, with an emphasis on energy and construction matters.
Sandy represents clients in a broad range of commercial disputes in state and federal courts across the United States. As a highly experienced first-chair trial attorney, she has helped manufacturers, energy companies, mining companies, utilities, beverage distributors and other major corporations streamline their existing dockets, resolve mission-critical disputes, prevent future litigation and minimize litigation-related expenses overall.
At the firm, Sandy serves as Administrative Team Partner for the litigation group, helping ensure that clients receive appropriate and cost-effective legal counsel.
Sandy has tried multiple cases in federal courts including trials in Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Washington and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and in state courts in Virginia, West Virginia and Arizona.
Sandy has litigated a wide variety of complex, multijurisdictional matters involving contracts, construction contracts, power purchase agreements, leases, consumer finance, insurance policies, condemnations, and business torts, among other issues.
Sandy also has substantial experience in environmental litigation, including actions involving the Clean Air Act, CERCLA, RCRA, the Oil Pollution Act, and other federal and state environmental laws. She is admitted to practice before the US Supreme Court and the Virginia Supreme Court.
- Defended major utility in construction contract dispute tried in federal court.
Represented a video game developer in federal court and obtained a jury verdict on developer’s breach of contract, trade secrets and copy-right claims.
- Advised utilities regarding strategies to resolve construction contract disputes.
Defending a major energy company in a construction contract dispute.
- Managed the national commercial litigation docket of a multinational metals producer, fabricator and supplier, resulting in a nearly 75% decrease in overall litigation.
- Represented a client in a CERCLA cost recovery case and obtained summary judgment on territorial claims.
- Represented plaintiffs in a CERCLA cost recovery action that sought PCB clean-up costs from a previous owner and obtained a favorable settlement for clients.
- Represented a major US utility and achieved a favorable arbitration decision in a dispute involving rail transportation agreements and various other rights.
- Represented several major coal companies in disputes related to coal supply contracts, mining rights and coal leases, regularly settling on terms favorable to her clients.
- Served as lead litigation counsel for a large power company in the eastern US, handling a varied docket that involved condemnation, personal injury, power purchase agreement and other disputes.
- Successfully defended, at trial and on summary judgment, a county government in numerous environmental actions arising out of the operation of landfills.
- Served as lead litigation counsel for breweries and wineries in alcoholic beverage control matters and disputes between breweries and wineries and their wholesalers.
- JD, University of Kentucky College of Law, Member, Kentucky Law Review, 1989
- BA, Northern Kentucky University, 1986
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Richmond Bar Association
- Member, Virginia State Bar Association
Rate : $$$$