Cassidy E. Chivers advises lawyers and law firms on ethics and risk management, as well as law firm formation and partnership dissolution matters. She is also the co-leader of Hinshaw’s risk management program, lawyeringlaw.com, which offers risk management and ethics hotline services to lawyers and law firms nationwide.
Ms. Chivers is a regular speaker and contributor to various publications on risk management and ethics issues. As a legal malpractice attorney, Ms. Chivers has “re-litigated” underlying matters in various areas of law, including, patent and trademark, divorce, family law, estate planning, bankruptcy, and contract disputes.
Ms. Chivers has obtained significant court judgments and settlements on behalf of her clients. Ms. Chivers also represents contractors and design professionals in a wide variety of disputes and transactions involving all types of residential and commercial building projects.
She counsels clients concerning all phases of the building process, including bidding and contracting, value engineering, project documentation and deliverables, mechanics lien law, and early dispute resolution.
She also handles post-construction disputes, including extra and changed work claims; delay, disruption and acceleration claims; and construction defect, indemnity and subrogation claims.
Ms. Chivers has significant experience in representing and counseling insurers on coverage matters, including construction defect, errors and omissions, directors and officers, builders risk, and miscellaneous lines of insurance.
Representative Matters :
- Ms. Chivers obtained a $5 million unanimous jury verdict in favor of a major international client in a highly contested breach of contract case. The Court of Appeal affirmed the jury’s verdict. Ms. Chivers also prepared the winning Respondent’s Brief.
- Ms. Chivers successfully defended a renowned San Francisco architect against design professional negligence claims arising from the new construction of a multi-million dollar luxury home. The trial court granted summary judgment on the issue of standing. The trial court’s decision was affirmed by the California Court of Appeal.
- Ms. Chivers has significant experience in defending lawyers and law firms. She has also filed several successful motions to strike pursuant to California’s Anti-Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation (Anti-SLAPP) statute. In 2011, Ms. Chivers obtained an attorneys’ fee award for over $240,000 in connection with a successful Anti-SLAPP motion against claims of fraud and conspiracy against a prominent lawyer and law firm in federal court.
Professional Affiliations :
- San Francisco Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- San Francisco Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, Associate Member
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Association of Professional Responsibility
- J.D., University of San Francisco, 1999
- B.A., with honors, California State University, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Northern Districts of California
Rate : $$$