Catherine Woltering is a partner in BakerHostetler’s Litigation Group, where she focuses her practice on appellate and complex commercial litigation in federal courts, with an expertise in the liquidation of brokerage firms and bankruptcy litigation.
She is one of the lead attorneys serving as counsel in the representation of Trustee Irving H. Picard for the SIPA liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.
Catherine manages multiple aspects of legal strategy, analysis, briefing, negotiations and argument in connection with the Trustee’s multi-billion dollar recovery effort, including managing large, multi-party litigations and appeals with billions of dollars at stake in the Bankruptcy Court, District Court and Second Circuit.
Throughout her experience, Catherine believes it is vital to understand her clients’ goals and expectations at the outset of an engagement. Once these are established, Catherine collaborates with her clients and colleagues to develop the strongest possible strategy to achieve client objectives, whether defensive or offensive, before disputes erupt into expensive and protracted litigation.
- Represents the SIPA Trustee in the bankruptcy, district and appellate courts, authoring numerous motions and appellate briefs on case-wide issues, including the proper interpretation of section 546(g) and 550(a) of the Bankruptcy Code; and the applicability of the presumption against extraterritoriality to the BLMIS liquidation.
- Manages cases investigating and litigating claims against hedge funds, investment banks and other financial institutions and fiduciaries involving complex derivative and financial products.
- Represents internationally recognized strength-training company providing educational programs for athletes, coaches and trainers and manufacturing industry-leading patented gym equipment.
- Defended entities and individuals in bankruptcy-related litigation, including actions for fraudulent transfers and preferences, and alleged violations of the automatic stay and discharge injunction.
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
Community : YWCA of Central Ohio
- J.D., The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, 2008; magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Articles Editor, Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, “Jack Ehleiter v. Grapetree Shores, Inc.,” published 2008
- B.A., Mathematics, Kenyon College, 2005, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2015
Rate : $$$