Chad A. Rutkowski helps clients protect their technology by leveraging the full array of intellectual property laws and through creative licensing techniques. Clients rely on him to help identify their IP, to build internal processes for its management, and to create licensing programs that enable full value realization.
He further protects that value in disputes and litigation, whether through enforcing his clients’ IP rights or fending off attacks by competitors. Giving special attention to categories of IP that are under-utilized by technology companies, Chad writes and presents regularly on the robust protections afforded by copyright law to software, data and related innovations.
He counsels clients on creating a blanket of IP protection that includes, but does not rely exclusively on, patents, and he has helped his clients protect innovations in smart cities, population health management and online consumer lending.
Chad’s interest in the ways IP law has adapted to the internet and digital media began with the issues he faced as a founder and business manager of the digital media publisher that created the Ulysses Seen website and app.
- Defended a client in copyright litigation against claims that photographs were used without permission on an audiovisual content menu guide.
- Drafted licensing deal between audiovisual production company and retail brand client for development of over the top platform distribution.
- Assisted video hosting company with development of content management best practices and DMCA compliance.
- Conducted an audit of client’s business practices to identify IP in technology firm enabling population health management, and designed best practices for IP development and management.
- Drafted IP and IT licensing contracts for client’s retail data analytics and reporting software platform utilizing Tableau and other software products.
- Pursued trademark infringement claims against hold-over licensee for unauthorized uses of nutraceutical trademarks.
- Obtained a high seven-figure settlement in a patent licensing dispute involving technology for the location of cell phone users over wireless networks.
- Successfully defended multiple clients against indemnification assertions, including a supplier of equipment used in polishing and finishing semiconductor wafers and the supplier of voltage metering equipment.
- Copyright Society of the USA
- Trustee and Executive Committee (2013 to present)
- Philadelphia Chapter: Chair (2012 to 2013)
- ABA Copyright Division, Computer Programs & New Technology Committee: Vice Chair
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1996
- B.A., Rutgers University, 1993
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- New Jersey
Rate : $$$$