W. Chapman Hopkins is a Member in Stoll Keenon Ogden’s Lexington office and practices in the firm’s Business Litigation, Banking Litigation and Equine groups. He serves as Chair of the firm’s Equine Litigation group. Chapman’s practice areas reflect his substantial legal and practical experience in the business, banking, and equine industries.
Chapman’s equine practice encompasses all facets of equine law with substantial experience counseling both individual and institutional equine clients in transactional matters as well as civil litigation and regulatory proceedings.
As a litigator, Chapman has the substantial experience required to efficiently resolve a wide range of disputes, with a focus on commercial and banking litigation. He advises clients throughout every step of the dispute process, from initial claim evaluation through settlement negotiations and trial.
An active member of the community, Chapman serves on the board of directors for several organizations, including the Thoroughbred Club of America and Good Shepherd Day School. He also serves on the Advisory Board of the Downtown Lexington Partnership. He graduated from Commerce Lexington’s Leadership Lexington program in 2011 and was the chair of the Commerce Lexington EMERGE conference for young professionals in 2015.
Equine Litigation: As chair of this practice group, Chapman works to keep SKO at the forefront of major equine litigation, which includes civil cases in state and Federal court and regulatory proceedings.
Equine Transactional: Chapman assists clients with a wide range of transactional needs, including purchase and sale agreements, stallion syndications, and racing partnerships. Chapman also has substantial experience advising clients on various forms of equine investments, including private placements and Crowdfunding.
Business Litigation: Chapman represents businesses and individuals with respect to contract disputes, business torts and shareholder conflicts, including complex derivative suits and class-actions for fiduciary duty and disclosure claims.
Banking Litigation: Working with bank clients throughout the state of Kentucky, Chapman handles matters such as lender liability claims and lien priority and collateral disputes. He also provides representation on large-scale commercial collections cases.
- University of Kentucky College of Law 2009, J.D.
- Transylvania University 2006, B.A., with honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- Kentucky Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Members Services Committee, 2010-present
- Fayette County Bar Association, 2009-present
- Central Kentucky American Inns of Court, founding member, 2013-2016
- Commerce Lexington, Young Professionals Steering Committee, 2013-present (Chair, 2015)
- The Thoroughbred Club of America, Board of Directors, 2018-present
- Kentucky Equine Humane Center, member, Board of Directors, 2015-2018
- Downtown Lexington Partnership, Advisory Board, 2018-present
- American Cancer Society, ACS Hope Lodge member steering committee 2014-2017
- Markey Cancer Center, Markey Golf Classic, Co-Chair, 2018
- Good Shepherd Day School, member, Board of Directors, 2016-present
Rate : $$$$