Charles Lewis concentrates his practice in the area of construction law and litigation and is a member of Duane Morris’ national Construction Practice Group and the head of the Chicago office Construction Practice Group.
Mr. Lewis represents general contractors, construction managers, owners, architects and engineers, design builders, subcontractors, and material suppliers in matters involving contract drafting, contract negotiation, breach of contract claims, claims for extras, delay, disruption, loss of productivity, excessive change orders, out-of-scope work, and claims involving mechanic’s liens.
Mr. Lewis has been certified as a mediator by the International Mediation Institute. He is an arbitrator and mediator for the American Arbitration Association, having acted as a mediator in over 350 construction disputes, is an arbitrator for the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, and is a mediator for the Circuit Court of Cook County, Court Annexed Major Case Civil Mediation Program, run by the Circuit Court of Cook County.
Mr. Lewis is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and Litigation Counsel of America, the Trial Lawyer Honorary Society. Mr. Lewis has been selected by lawyers and construction industry professionals who specialize in construction mega projects to be part of the American Arbitration Association’s new national Mega Project Panel of Arbitrators. This panel is limited to approximately sixty (60) arbitrators nationwide.
In addition, Mr. Lewis has also recently been selected by a rating committee made up of a diverse group of advocates and in-house counsels representing clients in large complex disputes to be one (1) of eleven (11) mediators on the American Arbitration Association’s new Midwest Master Mediator Panel.
- Represents a preeminent rehabilitation hospital in the drafting and negotiation of its agreements with its architects and construction manager for a new $600 million redevelopment project.
- Successfully represented the owner in a $100 million arbitration involving design errors and omissions as well as construction defects and deficiencies.
- Represented the Construction Manager on a $15 million claim involving the construction of a five-star hotel/condo in Chicago, which resulted in a six-week successful arbitration.
- Represented the general contractor in a $10 million claim arising out of differing site conditions encountered during the construction of a retaining wall in Worcester, MA.
- Successfully represented the Construction Manager on a project involving the construction of seven pump stations on an international pipeline in the arbitration of a claim for breach of contract brought by a prime contractor against the pipeline owner.
- Successfully represented the general contractor on a $15 million claim against the owner as a result of the renovation of a landmark hotel in the city of Chicago.
- Represented the Government of Greece in responding to and defending against $200 million in claims submitted by a consortium of 23 European contractors during construction of Lines 2 and 3 of the Athens Metro Rail System.
- Represented the contractor in its claim against the owner arising out of the construction of a prominent restaurant and retail development in Moscow.
- Represented the net lessee/landlord in the demolition, remediation, and reconstruction of the interior of a landmark building located next to Ground Zero in New York City.
- Represented the surety in the default of a large general contractor with projects in Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Virginia, and the bidding and reletting of those contracts as well as the prosecution of the many claims, both affirmative and defensive, which arose as a result thereof.
- Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- Fellow, Construction Lawyers Society of America
- Circuit Court of Cook County, Court Annexed Major Case Civil Mediation Program
- Associated General Contractors of America
Rate : $$$