Charles S. Baker is a Partner in the Houston office of Locke Lord LLP where he focuses his practice on prosecuting and defending complex intellectual property and commercial litigation matters, including patent, trademark, trade dress and copyright infringement matters, as well as trade secret and unfair competition matters. He is the Co-Chair of the Firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group.
His experience includes significant cases involving major clients such as numerous Fortune 500 high-tech companies in the computer hardware and software segments, telecommunications, Internet, VoIP, data storage, and networking industries.
Charles has tried more than 30 cases to verdict and has argued numerous cases on appeal. In addition to handling numerous intellectual property cases in federal court, he has handled nearly half a dozen matters before the International Trade Commission (ITC).
He is known for his representation of the lead defendant in the MGM v. Grokster case, which has been called the most important copyright infringement case in the 21st century. Additionally, Charles has litigated numerous complex commercial matters, counsels clients in IP and antitrust matters, and negotiates complex licensing arrangements.
- Lead counsel for an Internet software company in the defense of a patent infringement lawsuit in California. Case settled after a Markman ruling.
- Lead counsel for a supplier of remote video monitoring systems used in police vehicles that had been sued for patent infringement in New Jersey as well as representing that same client in a companion investigation before the ITC. Case settled.
- Represented one of the world’s leading computer manufacturers in a patent infringement lawsuit. Case was dismissed via summary judgment and affirmed on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Represented a large manufacturer of durable medical products accused of patent infringement with respect to height adjustable medical beds manufactured in China. Case settled on the eve of trial.
- Represented one of the world’s largest manufacturer of DRAM chipsets that were accused of infringing over 30 patents. Case settled on the eve of trial.
- Lead counsel for the world’s most popular P2P file sharing software in a high-profile copyright infringement lawsuit in New York federal court. Damages claimed are in excess of $500 million.
- Lead counsel for a large Usenet provider that has been sued in New York for copyright infringement by the Major Record Labels. Damages sought are in excess of $500 million.
- Represented a large marine shipping company in a software copyright infringement case and companion trade secret misappropriation case in Texas and California. Case settled.
- Lead counsel for a medical device company in a breach of contract and trademark infringement lawsuit involving technology with respect to glucometers in cellular phones. Obtained a summary judgment for client.
- Represented a national restaurant chain in its suit against a knock-off restaurant for infringement of trademarks and trade dress, misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition. Case settled with an agreed injunction and payment of attorneys’ fees.
- Represented a large chain of retail stores that supply home furnishings in a trade dress infringement lawsuit. Case settled with an agreed injunction and payment of attorneys’ fees.
- Lead counsel for a large manufacturer of alternative power devices in a trade secret misappropriation case in which damages sought were in excess of $100 million.
- Represented a large South Korean-based consumer electronics company in a theft of trade secrets and fraud case; argued partial summary judgment motion that lead to a settlement. Damages sought against client were in excess of $1.2 billion.
- Represented one of the world’s largest manufacturers of DRAM chipsets in a trade secret misappropriation lawsuit. Case settled after our motion for partial summary judgment was granted.
- Represented one of the world’s largest suppliers of wellhead equipment in a trade secret misappropriation and copyright infringement case. Case settled (agreed injunction and reimbursement of all expenses).
- Represented a national hardware store chain in a $10 million breach of contract and business torts lawsuit. The case was mediated and settled for a sum substantially less than demanded by the plaintiffs.
- Co-lead counsel for the nation’s largest bus company in a $200 million adversary claim tried in bankruptcy court in Corpus Christi, Texas for one week. Obtained a reduction of the NLRB’s claim to $25 million.
- Member of a defense team of lawyers responsible for defeating the claims of the FDIC in the largest bankruptcy filing of a bank holding company.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association (Litigation and Intellectual Property Law sections)
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Defense Counsel of America
- J.D., with honors, South Texas College of Law Houston, 1985
- B.B.A., Accounting, with honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1982
Admissions : Texas
Rate : $$$