Recognized by Chambers USA as “well regarded in the insurance market” and “very responsive to clients,” Charles T. Blair combines a deep knowledge of insurance law with a strong commitment to helping clients achieve their goals.
Tom has represented general liability insurers for more than 25 years and has represented clients with respect to a host of complex coverage issues.
His representations have included coverage matters involving environmental contamination, asbestos, hearing loss, silica, advertising injury and numerous other claims. He has litigated important coverage issues in the state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels.
Tom has extensive experience in litigating bad faith and other extracontractual claims against insurers across the country. He has spoken on coverage and bad faith issues and has provided training to insurers to avoid extracontractual exposures.
Representative Matters :
- Defending insurers in litigation involving asbestos-related coverage claims that resulted in a decision recognized in Law360 as one of the “10 most significant coverage decisions of the year.”
- Defending insurers in multisite environmental coverage litigation involving application of “sudden and accidental” pollution exclusion and other issues.
- Representing insurers in bench trials on multiple coverage issues including late notice, pollution exclusion and extracontractual claims.
- Representing an insurer in a jury trial on bad faith claims arising from the denial of uninsured motorist benefits.
Professional Experience : Law Clerk to the Honorable H. Emory Widener Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1990-1991
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1990, Executive Editor, Virginia Law Review
- University of Virginia, B.A., with high distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, 1987
BAR ADMISSIONS : Virginia, District of Columbia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$