Charles Cole is a partner in the Chicago office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Medical Malpractice Department. He spends the majority of his time defending physicians and other health care providers. After admission to the Illinois Bar in 1977, Mr. Cole has spent his career trying complex and significant matters to verdict in Illinois as well as other states, both in the State Court and the Federal Court.
Mr. Cole has tried more than 80 cases to verdict involving multi-million dollar exposures. His practice areas and trial experience include medical malpractice, professional liability, complex construction matters, amusement claims, commercial litigation, transportation negligence, and general liability defense.
- The John Marshall School of Law, Chicago, Illinois, Juris Doctor, with Honors, 1977
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois, Bachelor of Science in Psychology, with High Honors, 1974
- State Bar Admissions, Illinois
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- State Appellate Courts, Illinois Appellate Court
- United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- Charles served as Director of the 41st Annual IADC Trial Academy Faculty at Stanford Law School in 2013; Director-Elect of the 40th Annual IADC Trial Academy Faculty in 2012; Member of the IADC Trial Academy Faculty in 2008; Charles was elected a member of the prestigious International Association of Defense Counsel in 1992 and served as a Member of the IADC Nominating Committee in 2008.
- He has been a member of the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel for more than 35 years. Charles served the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel as President (2001-2002), President-Elect (2000-2001), First Vice President (1999-2000), Second Vice President (1998-1999), Secretary-Treasurer (1997-1998); and a member of its Board of Directors (1993-1997). He also served as Insurance Symposium on Conflicts and Ethics, Program Chair, 1996; Professional Liability Committee Chair, 1993-1997; Trial Tactics Program Chair, 1986.
- Charles recently completed service as an elected member of the governing board of Mackrell International. Mackrell International is a global network of more than 90 independent law firms in more than 40 countries.
Representative Cases : His courtroom victories involving the successful defense of professionals and entities include the representation of :
- An emergency-room physician who allegedly failed to diagnose an atypical aortic dissection
- An emergency-room physician in a case involving allegations of medical malpractice, police brutality and racial profiling
- Defense of a man accused by his ex-wife of sexual assault, sexual slavery and misconduct relating to their marriage
- A cardiologist accused of negligence in causing cardiac muscle damage to a patient following an improperly treated heart attack
- The general contractor involved in the collapse of the Rosemont Horizon Stadium, which resulted in the death of five persons.
Rate : $$$