Charles R. Gibbs has four decades of experience advising on complex in and out-of-court restructurings. He has a nationwide practice, having advocated before bankruptcy judges in more than 50 jurisdictions and 5 U.S. Courts of Appeal.
With a particular focus on commercial real estate and oil and gas restructurings, Chuck advises clients on a myriad of issues involving complex restructurings including “cramdown” and “cramup” plans, debt-to-equity conversions, contract rejection and renegotiation, asset sales, fraudulent conveyance and preference litigation, and employee incentive programs.
Representative Work :
- Representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of radio giant, iHeartMedia, Inc., in a $16 billion restructuring involving a myriad of complicated disputes. The Akin Gump team has been advocating tirelessly on behalf of unsecured creditors, with such efforts already yielding significant benefits.
- The debtors and debtors in possession of Quicksilver Resources, Inc., a natural gas company in a leading case that tuned on the ability to reject midstream gathering and transportation contracts under Section 365 of the Bankruptcy Code. The Akin Gump team guided the company through all aspects of the restructuring, including the sale of substantially all of its domestic assets for USD 245 million in cash.
- Other seminal bankruptcies include SandRidge Energy, Inc., Gadzooks,Inc., Goodrich Petroleum Corporation, Edge Petroleum Corporation, BPZ Resources, James River Coal Co., General Growth Properties, Inc. and Burlington Industries, Inc.
- Handles complex in and out-of-court restructurings.
- Vast experience advising clients across all industries, with a particular focus on the oil and gas, real estate and retail sectors.
- Restructuring engagements often involve multijurisdictional and cross-border matters.
- Past member of the firm’s Management Committee (2006-2015).
- Chair of the firm’s Partnership Admissions Committee (2013- 2018).
- Board of Trustees of Dallas Opera Company (2010-2016).
- Board of Trustees of Knox College (2008-2015).
- Member, State Bar of Texas.
- Member, American Bar Association.
- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law, 1978
- M.B.A., Southern Methodist University, 1978
- B.A., Duke University, 1974
Bar Admissions : Texas
Rate : $$$$