Charles (Chuck) H. Critchlow is a member of Baker McKenzie’s Global Antitrust & Trade Practice Group and North America Litigation Practice Group. He handles antitrust and commercial litigation and advice, as well as joint ventures, merger clearance, cartel investigations, class actions and general business litigation.
Chuck is active in the American Bar Association’s antitrust and international law sections. He is listed in Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in the East, The World’s Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers, and New York Super Lawyers. He is a frequent commentator on Law360 and Global Competition Review.
Chuck has appeared before federal agencies and in state and federal courts throughout the US. He has handled antitrust and trade matters in Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, India and South Africa, and coordinated antitrust legal compliance matters in over two dozen overseas jurisdictions.
His experience includes general commercial litigation, antitrust litigation, and representation of companies in government and grand jury investigations. He has counseled on antitrust merger clearances — at home and abroad — in connection with acquisitions in the coal, industrial gases, household and agricultural insecticides, and fertilizer industries.
Chuck is a leading adviser on export antitrust matters with over 40 years of continuous experience. He counsels on competition law applicable to joint venture export corporations, and has advised on antitrust exemptions and a broad range of corporate-related matters, including joint venture agreements, corporate procedures and compliance, and export sales and distribution contracts.
He has also worked extensively on matters relating to industrial chemicals, fertilizers, oil, electrical contracting, gasoline, moving and storage, and paper industries.
- Columbia Law School (J.D. James Kent Scholar) (1975)
- Yale University (B.A. summa cum laude, honors with exceptional distinction) (1972)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (1996)
- U.S. Court of International Trade~United States (1996)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit~United States (1995)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit~United States (1991)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Law360 – Member, 2011-2016 Advisory Competition Boards
- American Bar Association – Antitrust and International Law Sections
Representative Legal Matters:
- Represented a Chinese defendant in price-fixing class actions involving landmark foreign sovereign compulsion and international comity issues, the first to be brought in US courts against Chinese defendants.
- Coordinated the defense and successful appeal of the first case litigated under the South African Competition Act to be brought before the South African Supreme Court.
- Represented a major cosmetics company in an accounting arbitration and subsequent judicial confirmation of arbitral award in client’s favor.
- Successfully defended clients in bid rigging and False Claims Act litigation in the electrical contracting and moving and storage industries.
Rate : $$$