Charles S. Leeper represents clients in white collar criminal investigations and prosecutions, congressional inquiries and related civil proceedings. He formerly served as the head of the firm’s White Collar Criminal Defense and Corporate Investigations Team and has served as a Managing Partner of the Firm.
Charlie has extensive experience defending companies and individuals against allegations of federal criminal violations and civil fraud offenses, including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act claims. He has litigated antitrust, environmental, securities, ethics and compliance and public contracts matters.
He also advises clients on compliance issues implicating the FCPA, competition laws, and federal procurement requirements. He has conducted training on these issues and has devised Ethical Conduct codes and rules for implementation for clients and their employees.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, where he investigated and prosecuted an array of complex cases involving white collar offenses, public corruption, asset forfeiture, espionage and terrorism. He also supervised a team of other veteran prosecutors in his capacity as Deputy Chief of the Special Prosecutions Unit.
Charlie has represented clients from diverse industries in investigations conducted by authorities in the United States, Canada, and the European Union. He defends companies and individuals, domiciled in the U.S. and in other countries, against allegations of bid-rigging, price-fixing, market or customer allocation, and other forms of alleged anticompetitive conduct. We have handled all phases of antitrust investigations and prosecutions, including representing clients at trial. These engagements include :
- Represented companies at trial and successful appeal in which government alleged bid-rigging on construction projects financed by the U.S. Agency for International Development. United States v. Anderson, et al. (D.D.C.)
- Conducted an internal investigation for a drilling services company of suspected of bid-rigging and represented company it in a voluntary disclosure to competition authorities in Europe.
- Secured declination of prosecution on behalf of an executive in an Antitrust Division price-fixing investigation of the helicopter transport services industry. (N.D. Tex.)
- Secured declination of prosecution on behalf of the former CEO of a joint venture in an Antitrust Division price-fixing investigation of the elastomers industry. (N.D. Cal.)
Charlie has obtained decisions from the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice, and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, to decline prosecution and/or the commencement of enforcement action in securities fraud investigations of numerous clients. He has achieved this success for clients such as :
- Partners and associates in a major law firm in connection with DOJ and SEC investigations of off-balance sheet entities used by Enron
- Sales and marketing executives in connection with parallel criminal and civil investigations arising out of alleged improper revenue recognition in the internet services industry
- The CFO of a major hedge fund in connection with DOJ and SEC investigations of alleged failure to disclose beneficial ownership of publicly traded securities.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1975, magna cum laude
- Bucknell University, B.S., Accounting, 1972
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, New York
Rate : $$$$