Charles E. Phipps is dedicated to advising his clients on all of their intellectual property matters, including representing his clients in litigation matters in United States District Courts and adversarial proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Charles has over 22 years of experience representing clients in patent litigation, both as plaintiff’s counsel and as defense counsel.
His patent litigation experience spans across numerous technologies and industries. He has served as Co-Chair of the IP Litigation Committee for the Texas State Bar Association and currently serves as Co-Chair of Locke Lord’s Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group.
He provides responsive and practical advice to his clients on intellectual property matters including patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights, software and related contracts. Charles has substantial experience establishing and maintaining international patent and trademark portfolios.
He authors and responds to demand letters concerning intellectual property issues. He routinely drafts and negotiates contracts and license agreements, including those relating to patents, trademarks and software. He seeks to address legal issues in their actual commercial context to achieve the best results for his clients.
Patent Litigation. He is currently representing corporations, including major banks, investment holding companies and telecommunications firms in patent cases involving allegations of patent infringement.
Patent and Trademark Portfolio Management, Development and Enforcement. He obtains, enforces, litigates and licenses all types of intellectual property. As a patent attorney registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, he obtains patents for clients and also registers trademarks and copyrights.
Technology. His practice covers a broad range of technical fields including aerospace, chemistry, computer systems, consumer products, cosmetics, encryption, financial services, internet and e-commerce, medical devices, military applications, nanotechnology, pharmaceuticals, semiconductor manufacturing, security systems, software, sports equipment and telecommunications.
- Lumetique, Inc. v. Lisa Hoffman Beauty, 2:12-cv-00051-JRG-RSP (E.D. Tex.) (representing Lisa Hoffman Beauty in this patent litigation matter pending before Judge Rodney Gilstrap and Magistrate Judge Roy Payne)
- All-American Packaging, LLC v. Keurig Green Mountain, Inc. and Westrock Company, 6:17-cv-00214-RWS-KNM (Tyler) (representing defendants in this patent litigation matter pending before Judge Schroeder and Magistrate Judge K. Nicole Mitchell)
- Sycamore IP Holdings LLC v. Menara Networks, Inc. et al., 2-15-cv-00333-JRG (E.D. Tex.) (representing Menara Networks in this patent case before Judge Gilstrap)
- Hawk Technology Sys., LLC v. Accent Food Service, LLC, 2:15-cv-245-JRG (E.D. Tex.) (representing Accent Food Service in this patent case before Judge Gilstrap)
- Rotatable Technologies LLC v. Hoover’s, Inc. et al., 2:13-cv-262-JRG-RSP (E.D. Tex.) (representing Hoover’s, Inc. in patent litigation pending before Judge Rodney Gilstrap, opposing counsel is Austin Hansley)
- Harcol Research, LLC v. Cytosport, Inc., 2:13-cv-00713-JRG (E.D. Tex.) (representing Defendant in patent case pending before Judge Rodney Gilstrap, opposing counsel includes William “Bo” Davis of The Davis Firm PC)
- TQP Development, LLC v. U.S. Airways, 2:11-cv-398-MHS-CMC (E. D. Tex.) (representing Defendant U.S. Airways in patent case pending before Judge Michael H. Schneider)
- Gemini IP, LLC v. Computer Sciences Corporation, Fidelity Information Services, Inc., Fiserv, Inc., Ingersoll-Rand Company, Novell, Inc., Symantec Corporation, Xerox Corporation and Zappos, Inc., 4:11-CV-36-RAS (E.D. Tex.) (representing Xerox Corporation) (Judge Richard A. Schell)
- Fast Memory Erase, LLC v. Spansion, Inc., Spansion LLC, Intel Corporation, Numonyx B.V., Numonyx, Inc., Stmicroelectronics NV, Stmicroelectronics, Inc., Nokia Corporation, Nokia Inc., Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications (USA), Inc. and Motorola, Inc., 3-08cv0977M (N.D. Tex.) (multi-patent case before Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn)
- Richard Olivadoti v. The Bramton Company, 05CV-9267 (LAP) (S.D.N.Y.) (intellectual property case before Judge Loretta A. Preska)
Professional History :
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Associate, Ropes & Gray (Formerly, Fish & Neave) New York (1997 – 2000)
- Associate, Sidley Austin Brown & Wood (Formerly, Sidley & Austin) Dallas (1995 – 1997)
- Internship, Huntsman Corporation, Austin, TX, Involving Patent Prosecution (1993 – 1995)
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Member, New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1995
- B.S., Chemistry, cum laude, Texas A&M University, 1992
- New York, 1998
- Texas, 1995
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Rate : $$$