C. Charles Townsend serves as managing partner of Akerman’s Dallas office. He advises consumer financial services companies on operational, regulatory and compliance issues, and represents them in litigation and investigations that may have significant impact.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as a senior vice president and assistant general counsel for Bank of America, N.A. This experience enables him to anticipate and efficiently address issues of primary importance to his clients from a practical, in-house perspective.
Charles works with clients to audit, develop, and enhance their processes within a regulatory and compliance framework; coordinate responses to regulatory inquiries; and identify and resolve systemic issues that may expose them to litigation.
Charles also has significant experience litigating claims arising under the Truth in Lending Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Fair Housing Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and those based on state fair lending, collection, and deceptive trade practice laws.
He has managed litigation and investigations initiated by state and national regulatory and enforcement agencies, as well as inquiries initiated by members of Congress. Charles is an active member of the Dallas civic community and serves on the board of directors for the Southwest Transplant Alliance.
- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 2000
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin, Government and Sociology, 1996
- University of Southern California, 1993
Bar Admissions : Texas
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
Professional Experience :
- Bank of America, N.A., Senior Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, 2008-2009
- Countrywide Home Loans, Inc., Senior Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, 2004-2008
- Office of Texas State Senator John Carona, Legislative Assistant, 1996-1998
- Southwest Transplant Alliance, Board of Directors; Governance and Compliance Committee, Member
Rate : $$$