Charles J. Vinicombe has over 30 years of experience representing clients in litigation matters and counseling clients. He focuses his practice on insurance matters and commercial litigation.
Charles has prosecuted and defended claims arising out of stranger originated life insurance (STOLI) transactions and defended insurance companies in complex claims and coverage actions. He has counseled insurance clients on underwriting, claims, and marketing practices. He has also represented clients in complex commercial litigation.
Charles earned his undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from Seton Hall University. Charles earned his law degree from Wake Forest University School of Law where he was a member and articles editor of law review.
- Defense on summary judgment of a $100 million environmental contract dispute for a defendant industrial seller.
- Resolution of a lawsuit involving environmental claims against an insurance company in connection with over 100 waste sites located in 25 states.
- Resolution of a lawsuit seeking $65 million in damages arising out of retroactive capitation payments in connection with the acquisition of a health maintenance organization.
- Defense on summary judgment of a $10 million title insurance claim against a reinsurance company, as reported in RTC Mort. Trust 1994 N1 v. Fidelity Nat’l Title Ins. Co., 58 F. Supp. 2d 503 (D.N.J. 1999).
- Defense on summary judgment of a $40 million RICO claim against a life insurance and annuity company, as reported in Luzerne County Ret. Bd. v. Makowski, 627 F. Supp. 2d 506 (M.D. Pa 2007).
- Reversal on appeal of a summary judgment order compelling an insurer to refund $5 million in premiums on STOLI policies, as reported in Wuliger v. Manufacturers Life Ins. Co., 567 F.3d 787 (6th Cir. 2009).
- Denial of numerous motions seeking to dismiss STOLI and/or misrepresentation claims by insurance companies.
- Obtaining summary judgments declaring multi-million dollar STOLI policies invalid as reported, for example, in Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada v. Conestoga Trust, No. 3:14-cv-00539 (E.D. Tenn. 2017), aff’d, No. 17-5877 (6th Cir. 2018) and U.S. Bank Nat’l Assoc. v. Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada, No. 14-CV-4703 (E.D.N.Y. 2017).
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 1987
- Seton Hall University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1984
BAR ADMISSIONS : New Jersey
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Superior Court of New Jersey
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court — New Jersey
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Arbor Glen Continuing Care Retirement Community (Past Board Director)
Rate : $$$