Charles Mulaney focuses on mergers and acquisitions (friendly and hostile), corporate governance and corporate financings. Charles W. Mulaney, Jr. focuses on mergers and acquisitions (friendly and hostile), corporate governance and corporate financings.
He counsels clients on a broad range of securities and corporate matters, including disclosure issues, the duties of directors and shareholder activism. Mr. Mulaney represents special committees of directors in transactions and internal investigations.
He also advises major investment banks on acquisition and financing matters and has represented issuers and underwriters in numerous public and private securities offerings. Among the many public and private transactions he has been involved in are the representation of:
- Baxter International Inc. in its disposition of its 19 percent retained ownership in recently spun-off Baxalta, concurrent with Shire Plc’s $32 billion acquisition of Baxalta;
- Hospira, Inc. in its $17 billion acquisition by Pfizer Inc.;
- Ameritech Corporation in its $60 billion merger with SBC Communications, Inc.;
- Exelon Corporation in its $7.9 billion stock-for-stock merger with Constellation Energy Group, Inc.;
- Guidant Corporation in its acquisition by Boston Scientific Corporation for $27 billion, after an extended bidding contest with Johnson & Johnson;
- Kinetic Concepts, Inc. in its $6.3 billion acquisition by a consortium of funds advised by Apax Partners, together with controlled affiliates of Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board;
- Qwest Communications International Inc. in its $22.4 billion merger with CenturyTel, Inc. Mr. Mulaney was named “Dealmaker of the Week” by The Am Law Daily for his work on this transaction;
- Ryerson Inc. in its successful proxy contest with Harbinger Fund and later sale to Platinum Equity for $2 billion;
- the special committee of the board of directors of Tribune Company in its $13 billion going-private transaction involving an employee stock ownership plan and equity infusion from Sam Zell; and
Mr. Mulaney has provided corporate and transactional advice to a number of companies, including Ball Corporation; Baxter International Inc.; Ecolab Inc.; J.C. Penney Company; Navistar International Corporation; Northern Trust Corporation; Stryker Corporation; and various private corporations.
He is a member of the Corporate and Securities Law Institute of Northwestern University School of Law and has lectured at institutes for public company directors at the business schools of the University of Chicago, Duke University and Northwestern University. He speaks frequently on mergers, acquisitions and corporate governance.
Rate : $$$$