Charles D. Zagnoli represents clients in commercial disputes, corporate-governance and transactional litigation, and securities matters, among other civil disputes. His clients include healthcare companies, private equity firms and their portfolio companies, asset managers, and officers and directors of those companies.
Charlie also advises clients on anti-corruption, anti–money laundering, and trade-control risks in cross-border transactions, and he maintains an active pro bono litigation practice.
Before joining the firm, Charlie served as a law clerk to the Hon. James B. Loken of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. Before attending law school, Charlie worked as a paralegal in the Chicago office of an international market research company, where he focused on contract negotiation and drafting and intellectual property matters.
- JD, with High Honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 2013; comment editor,The University of Chicago Law Review; Order of the Coif; Kirkland & Ellis Scholar
- BA (English and Economics), magna cum laude, Wheaton College, 2008; Pi Gamma Mu
- Illinois, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2016
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable James B. Loken, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS : Chicago Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES : Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, Junior Board
- Advising the independent directors of a healthcare company as the company responds to government investigations and private lawsuits that allege undisclosed product defects and mislabeling, and defending the directors against related shareholder derivative suits.
- Representing a Fortune 250 company in a contract and consumer-fraud suit stemming from a data security breach.
- Represented a private equity fund asserting fraud and indemnification claims against a portfolio company’s sellers.
- Represented a healthcare services company in a corporate-governance dispute with a joint-venture partner, culminating in a favorable settlement during trial preparations.
- Defended a pharmaceutical services provider against a vendor’s breach-of-contract claims, culminating in a favorable settlement shortly before the final arbitration hearing.
- Defended corporate officers in an investigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission of a prominent REIT’s fund-administration and disclosure practices.
Rate : $$$$