Charlotte Smith is a Partner at Fragomen’s New York office. She joined Fragomen as a Summer Associate in 2005 and as an Associate in 2006. Charlotte practices exclusively in the field of immigration and nationality law.
She advises clients in various industries, including financial services and engineering, on all aspects of corporate U.S. immigration, including nonimmigrant visas, employment and family-based permanent residency applications and U.S. citizenship applications.
While in law school, Charlotte interned with the Department of Justice’s Executive Office for Immigration Review Miami Immigration Court, the Immigration Unit of Greater Boston Legal Services and the U.S. District Court, Chambers of Judge Patti B. Saris.
Prior to law school, she held a position at the Association of the Bar of the City of New York where she assisted lawyers in the preparation of VAWA petitions for immigrant victims of domestic violence.
Charlotte’s pro bono accomplishments include obtaining permanent residency for an abandoned immigrant juvenile based on Special Immigrant Juvenile Status and permanent residency for the children of an asylee.
Charlotte has volunteered at Fragomen’s monthly pro bono clinic at a local nonprofit organization, screening immigrant juveniles for potential relief, and she has spoken at Know Your Rights presentations at the Borough of Manhattan Community College.
In addition, Charlotte has served as a volunteer attorney at an immigration detention center for women and children in Dilley, Texas, providing legal guidance to asylum seekers.
Charlotte speaks English and Spanish.
- Charlotte has advised clients in a variety of industries including banks and hedge funds, engineering companies and start-ups on U.S. corporate immigration.
- Her experience includes assisting multinational corporations and start-ups with obtaining temporary U.S. employment visas for their foreign national populations. She also has advised on permanent residency applications, concentrating on Applications for Permanent Employment Certification (PERM Applications) filed with the U.S. Department of Labor.
- New England School of Law | J.D., 2006, magna cum laude
- Wake Forest University | B.A., 2001
Bar Admissions: New York, Massachusetts
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Member, 2017 Business Immigration Track Annual Conference Planning Committee, AILA
- Former Member, 2010 Fundamentals Track Annual Conference Planning Committee, AILA
- Former Member, Distance Learning Committee, AILA
- Former Co-Chair, Department of Labor Committee, New York, NY Chapter, AILA
- Former Co-Chair, Citizenship Day Committee, New York, NY Chapter, AILA
Rate : $$$