Cheryl L. Blount is an associate in the firm’s Labor and Employment Group. She has a great breadth of experience in general civil litigation, working mainly for small litigation boutiques prior to joining Reed Smith.
Cheryl has represented clients on disputes from pre-litigation stages through appeal involving employment, construction defect, personal injury, products liability, healthcare, and commercial matters.
Her employment practice involves advising clients on various aspects of employee relations, with a particular emphasis on matters involving discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wage and hour laws, and restrictive covenants.
While in law school, Cheryl served as an Articles Editor and Executive Editor on Baylor Law Review and was a member of the Order of the Barristers. She also interned with Judge Nancy F. Atlas of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas and Chief Justice Nathan Hecht of the Supreme Court of Texas.
- Baylor University School of Law, 2011, J.D.,cum laude
- University of Texas, 2006, B.S., with honors
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : Texas
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Texas
Professional Affiliations :
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Judicial Intern Opportunity Program Committee – Editorial Team Member; Former Social Media Co-Chair; Former Newsletter Editor-in-Chief
- Houston Bar Association
- Habitat for Humanity Committee Member
- Representing global oilfield services company in FLSA action alleging improper job classification.
- Representing restaurant chain in FLSA action involving claims related to tip credit and tip pooling.
- Representing global oilfield services company against allegations of national origin discrimination, retaliation, and hostile work environment.
- Represented energy project management company in wage-hour class action, obtaining early dismissal.
- Represented telecommunications company against allegations of national origin and gender discrimination.
- Represented hospital system in Americans with Disabilities (ADA) action, obtaining defense verdict at trial.
- Represented hospital system in various slip and fall matters at the trial and appellate level.
- Represented individual in Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Consumer Protection Act (DTPA) action, obtaining dismissal of defamation counterclaims on Anti-SLAPP grounds.
- Represented national HVAC company in various construction defect matters.
- Represented transloading services company in wrongful death action, obtaining dismissal on jurisdictional grounds.
Rate : $$$$