Cheryl L. Gordon has focused her practice for almost four decades on estate planning and business and transactional tax law. She advises a wide variety of corporate and high net worth individuals about tax and legal aspects of their business activities. Cheryl’s business clients benefit from her background as a certified public accountant and her many years of expertise in corporate planning and transactions.
She has represented and advised numerous individuals and companies in the formation, acquisition and sales of business ventures, the planning and implementation of qualified plans, and all aspects of the day-to-day operations of their businesses.
Estate planning and trust administration clients rely on Cheryl’s creativity and skills to find solutions designed to address their often complex family goals and dynamics. She understands the importance of estate planning and the responsibilities of estate administrators and fiduciaries and takes the time to get to know her clients in order to proactively plan their estates.
Cheryl maintains long-term relationships with her clients, regularly communicating with them to learn about changes in their personal lives that may impact their estate and trust plans. These personal relationships assist Cheryl in carrying out her clients’ plans and desires throughout the probate and trust administration process.
In addition, Cheryl also helps high-net-worth individuals and business owners maximize wealth preservation and minimize taxes on transfers of assets to family members and other recipients by providing them with advice, guidance, and assistance in organizing their income taxes, business succession, charitable giving, and estate plans.
She uses the most appropriate estate planning strategies, including sophisticated wills and trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, family limited partnerships, family charitable foundations, and other similar techniques. Cheryl is an enthusiastic doll collector, an avid Florida Gator’s fan, and the longest standing member of the Sarasota office.
- LL.M., with honors, Taxation, University of Florida, 1979
- J.D., with honors, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1978
- B.S.B.A., with high honors, University of Florida, 1975
Bar and Court Admissions : Florida, 1979
- Successfully planned for estate to avoid Madoff clawback claim.
- Planned and brought to completion a sale of client’s business to defective grantor trust, minimizing taxes for the family and obtaining a no change IRS audit result.
- Updating of medical practice buy-sell agreements and shareholder employment agreements to bring in line with current trends in medical practices.
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- The Perlman Music Program, Board Member
- Florida Alumni Tax Advisory Committee for the University of Florida Levin College of Law Graduate Tax Program
- Education Foundation of Sarasota County, Inc. former Board Member
- Lou Gehrig’s Disease Association of Southwest Florida, Inc., former Board Member
- Small Business Council for the Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce, former Board Member
- Sarasota Opera Association, former Board Member and Vice President
- Temple Beth Sholom, former Board Member, Vice President and Treasurer
- Sarasota-Manatee Jewish Foundation, former Trustee
Rate : $$$