Chethan G. Shetty is class action defense attorney that focuses on representing financial services companies in consumer-related class action litigation in both state and federal courts.
Chethan frequently defends companies in litigation involving the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and state consumer fraud and unfair or deceptive business practices statutes.
Additionally, Chethan tracks litigation trends related to consumer class actions and writes about significant decisions and developments, including the emergence of class actions under the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA).
Examples of Chethan’s cases include:
- Representing mortgage servicers and service providers in the real estate owned (REO) industry in nationwide class actions alleging violations of the TCPA and FDCPA
- Defending class action lawsuits filed by counties, county commissioners, and county attorneys alleging defendants in the mortgage and lending industries failed to record mortgage assignments allegedly required under state law
- Represented mortgage lenders and servicers in several class actions alleging improper loan payoff and recordation fees
- Defended a class action against a nationwide franchisor filed by franchisees alleging breach of contract and fraud related to charges governed by the franchise agreements
- Represented title insurer in class action alleging state law tort and contract claims arising from allegedly improper real-estate transfer taxes
- Defended claims against a residential mortgage servicer alleging that fees for default-related services such as property-inspection fees and property-valuation (BPO) fees were inflated or improper under the loan contract and various state and federal consumer protection statutes including the FDCPA and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO)
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, 2009
- B.S., Finance, University of Illinois, 2004
Admissions : Illinois, 2009
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2017
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, 2014
Rate : $$$