Chris Barker was born in Sheffield, Alabama, on July 24, 1965. He has been a member of the Bar of the State of Alabama since 1990, and Florida since 1991. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court; the U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit; the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida; and, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Alabama.
Mr. Barker has also been certified by the Florida Supreme Court as a Circuit Civil Mediator, and is a member of the Florida Academy of Professional Mediators, Florida Circuit-Civil Mediator Society and National Association of Distinguished Neutrals.
Mr. Barker has significant trial experience involving both jury and bench trials as well as arbitration proceedings. He has tried over 100 cases in federal, state and workers’ compensation courts and has written and presented oral argument in both state and federal appellate courts.
He handles many different types of matters including commercial and business litigation, employment law discrimination and compliance, premises liability, personal injury, medical malpractice, products liability, and class actions.
Mr. Barker has lectured on numerous topics including employment rights, law enforcement, personal injury settlements and ethical claims adjusting. He was also certified as an Instructor for Workers’ Compensation Adjusters by the Florida Department of Insurance in 1999. Mr. Barker also serves as an expert witness in both state and federal courts regarding issues of attorneys’ fees.
Mr. Barker is licensed by the state bars of Florida and Alabama and is a member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association and the American Bar Association. Mr. Barker is also a member of the CEO Council of Tampa Bay, an organization comprised of hundreds of CEOs from all over the Tampa Bay area, and has been elected to serve on the Board of Directors for the Council. Mr. Barker is also a member of the Tampa Club and the Tampa Bay Society.
In April of 2008, Mr. Barker was appointed by Governor Charlie Crist to serve on the Judicial Nominating Commission for the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit, which assists the Governor in selecting qualified judges. He served a 4 year term through 2012.
- The University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, J.D. – 1990
- Birmingham Southern College, Birmingham, Alabama, B.A. – 1987
- Alabama, 1990
- Florida, 1991
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 1992
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 1991
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1991
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Florida Bar Association, Member
- Alabama Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Distinguished Neutrals, Member
- Florida Circuit-Civil Mediator Society , Member
- Florida Academy of Professional Mediators, Member
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Rate : $$$