Christian A. Atwood is a corporate partner in the Boston office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and other strategically important transactions, with a particular focus on private equity funds and their portfolio companies. Christian is an experienced and versatile counselor, well-known and sought out for his commercial acumen and bedside manner.
His recent work has involved targets in a wide array of industries, throughout the U.S. and in international markets, including health care, industrials, manufacturing, oilfield services, SaaS and other technology plays.
Christian has significant experience handling complex middle-market deals. His previous engagements have involved well-known funds such as Avista Capital, Bridgepoint, Francisco Partners, Great Hill, HarbourVest, Intervale Capital, New Heritage Capital, Lee Equity Partners, Levine Leichtman Capital Partners, New Mountain Capital, Olympus Partners, Sentinel Capital Partners, Silversmith Capital, Spectrum Equity, The Jordan Company and Windjammer Capital.
In addition to his work for sponsors and sponsor-backed companies, Christian is frequently retained by those who find themselves across the table from, or co-investing with, private equity funds, to provide counsel as to “market” terms and best practices in private equity–related structures, shareholder agreements, and incentive equity and other compensation–related arrangements.
Christian is listed in Chambers USA and The Legal 500 U.S. as a leading M&A lawyer in the field of private equity buyouts.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2001
- Dartmouth College, A.B., 1998
Admissions : 2002, Massachusetts
- Harvest Partners, L.P. in its strategic minority investment by Goldman Sachs Asset Management
- VetCor management in a recapitalization led by Oak Hill Capital Partners, Harvest Partners and Cressey & Company
- Palladium Equity Partners, LLC in its investment in partnership with the owners of Spice World, Inc.
- Francisco Partners in its strategic minority investment by Blackstone and Goldman Sachs Asset Management
- OmniClaim, a healthcare cost containment and payment integrity solutions provider, in its sale to Equian, a portfolio company of New Mountain Capital
Prior to joining Kirkland, Christian was involved in the following matters:
- Great Hill Partners in connection with leveraged recapitalization of Evolve IP and growth equity investment in Reliam
- Silversmith Capital Partners in connection with numerous deals, including the leveraged recapitalization of Digital Map Products and subsequent bolt-on acquisitions, and the acquisition of Swift Prepaid Solutions (in partnership with Bain Capital Ventures)
- The Blackstone Group (NYSE: BX) in connection with a number of software and technology-focused transactions, including the spinout and financing of iLevel Solutions LLC and investments in Carbon Black (acquired by Bit9), Coupa, Secure Mentem and ThoughtFocus Technologies
- Bridgepoint Development Capital in connection with carveout of the Consulting Claims Group of Hill International (NYSE: HIL), subsequently rebranded as HKA
Memberships & Affiliations :
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, ABA’s Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
Rate : $$$