Christine Richardson represents for-profit and nonprofit developers in various aspects of affordable housing development, including financing transactions, regulatory matters involving state and federal agencies, and state taxation issues relevant to affordable housing.
Representative Experience :
- Transactional Matters
- Ms. Richardson has experience in review and negotiation of financing documents in transactions involving low income housing tax credits, Tax Credit Exchange funds, TCAP funds, financing under different HUD programs, and other types of federal, state, and local funding. She also regularly assists clients with the structuring and formation of ownership and development entities for use in affordable housing transactions.
- Regulatory Matters
- In her regulatory practice, Ms. Richardson represents clients in various matters involving the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs, such as tax credit application issues, changes of ownership, and various tax credit compliance matters. In HUD regulatory matters, she has represented clients in assignments of Section 8 HAP contracts, transfers of physical assets, and 236 decouplings.
- State Taxation Matters
- A number of affordable housing transactions seek to employ different tax exemptions under Texas law. Ms. Richardson advises clients on ad valorem tax exemptions under different types of ownership structures and has worked with numerous appraisal districts in applying for such exemptions, including representation of property owners in appraisal review board hearings involving such exemptions. She also provides advice and assistance to clients who desire to obtain a sales tax exemption for materials used in construction or rehabilitation of affordable housing.
Professional History :
- Senior Counsel, Locke Lord LLP
- Briefing Attorney for Justice Priscilla R. Owen, The Supreme Court of Texas (2000 – 2001)
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions :
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Austin Bar Association
- Member, Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Affordable Housing and Community Development Law Forum
- Member, National Council of State Housing Agencies
- Member, Housing Development Loan Committee, Volunteers of America National Services
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2000
- B.A., summa cum laude, Angelo State University, 1997
Admissions : Texas, 2000
Rate : $$$