As a 2016 Reed Smith summer associate, Christopher M. Butler gained valuable experience conducting legal research and drafting memoranda. Chris’ prior work experience includes the drafting of motions involving consumer protection laws, California Unfair Competition Law and class certification.
Chris has a variety of complex litigation experience involving medical device and pharmaceutical litigation, insurance recovery, mortgage litigation and debt collection practices.
Chris frequently supports the firm’s pro bono efforts and most recently is part of a team representing a nationwide class of Vietnamese detainees with removal orders seeking individualized hearings and/or release from indefinite government detention.
While attending the University of Virginia School of Law, Chris competed on both the Extramural Moot Court Team and Trial Advocacy Team. As a member of UVA’s First Amendment Clinic, he drafted amicus briefs for submission in cases implicating First Amendment concerns, in collaboration with the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press.
Chris received his B.A. Summa Cum Laude from UCLA. While an undergraduate at UCLA, Chris interned with the Superior Court of California, JusticeCorps Program where he provided legal information to pro se litigants and assisted with unlawful detainers, divorce and paternity cases and restraining orders.
He also volunteered with the Incarcerated Youth Tutorial Project in Malibu, mentoring and tutoring incarcerated youth to prepare them for high school equivalency exams.
- University of Virginia School of Law, 2017, J.D., Dean’s Merit Scholarship, Virginia Sports and Entertainment Law Journal Editorial Board, Extramural Moot Court Team, Trial Advocacy Team, Barristers United
- University of California, Los Angeles, 2013, B.A., Summa Cum Laude, Honors Program, Astin Scholar
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : California
- Team member for multiple different portfolios of mortgage litigation.
- Team member for pharmaceutical company in multi-district litigation involving prescription testosterone replacement therapy medication.
- Team member for medical device manufacturer in federal multidistrict litigation involving hernia mesh patches, transvaginal mesh, and stress urinary incontinence slings.
- Represented a nationwide class of Vietnamese detainees with removal orders seeking individualized hearings and/or release from indefinite government detention.
Rate : $$$$