Christopher M. Caputo is a shareholder in the Nashville and Memphis offices of Baker Donelson, where he practices construction law and litigation and leads the Firm’s Tennessee construction practice.
Mr. Caputo represents and counsels public and private owners, contractors and subcontractors, suppliers, insurers, financial institutions and design professionals throughout the entire United States and abroad, serving his construction clients in contract negotiations and construction disputes wherever they arise.
A specific focus of Mr. Caputo’s practice involves the representation of owners and developers of industrial, hospitality and health care facilities from project inception through the resolution of project-related disputes and during the ultimate operation of the facility.
Mr. Caputo counsels his construction clients through all stages of construction and development of a project, with extensive knowledge and experience in the negotiation and drafting of construction and development contracts and other supplemental agreements, including many of the standard construction forms used worldwide.
He has litigated numerous complex construction claims related to the recovery of contract balances and defective work, as well as schedule-related claims, including liquidated damage claims arising out of delay, disruption or acceleration.
In addition to his representation of construction clients in various state and federal courts, Mr. Caputo has participated in various forms of alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation.
Along with transactional and litigation work, Mr. Caputo consults clients relative to licensing issues, the formation of joint-ventures and other special purpose entities, and in connection with bid protests and other public bidding issues.
Mr. Caputo is an Italian citizen, is proficient in the Italian language, and is the local representative of the American Chamber of Commerce in Italy for various states throughout the Southeast.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Colgate University, B.A.,1991
- Tennessee, 1999
- Massachusetts, 1995
- Rhode Island, 1994
- Provided construction counsel in connection with $80 million in delay and overhead claims associated with the allegedly defective design of a nuclear materials facility.
- Lead construction counsel for developer of high-rise office tower in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Represented Italian contractor in obtaining contractor and business licenses and in commencement of commercial operations in the United States.
- Represented Italian manufacturer in connection with negotiating construction financing for its United States industrial production facility.
- Drafted various contracts for a large, multinational Italian construction contractor for its U.S. projects.
- Represented an owner in connection with the design-build contract of a $300 million manufacturing facility in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Lead construction counsel for developer of major luxury multi-family projects in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Represented the design-builder of an aquarium facility in Taiwan.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Political Action Committee Board, West Tennessee Associated Builders and Contractors
- Member – International, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Tennessee and Memphis Bar Associations
- Member – Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel
- Member – Dispute Resolution Board Foundation
Rate : $$$$