A member of Venable’s Commercial Litigation and Energy Groups, Christopher S. Gunderson is an experienced litigator who represents clients across the country in state and federal courts on a range of issues. Chris also has significant experience representing energy and utility companies in litigation and contested regulatory matters.
He has managed numerous large, complex litigation matters to successful resolution by learning the client’s business, tailoring a litigation strategy to advance the client’s business objectives, and then working diligently to achieve the desired results, whether in court or in negotiations.
As a member of Venable’s Energy Group, Chris has been at the forefront of large utility merger and acquisition matters, and regularly represents clients in state utility commission proceedings, including rate cases and CPCN applications.
- Represents the largest health insurer in the mid-Atlantic region in litigation against an insurance regulator to protect the insurer’s surplus from unauthorized and imprudent regulatory taking. Litigation is pending
- Represents a coalition of public charter schools in Baltimore City in litigation against the Baltimore City School Board to secure appropriate funding. Litigation is pending
- Represented an international insurance brokerage in a multijurisdictional dispute involving alleged tortious interference with a competitor. All claims were dismissed as a result of a favorable settlement that protected the brokerage’s ability to pursue new business interests
- Represented a national home improvement retailer in defense against a $300 million breach of contract claim involving installation services. All claims were dismissed on motions to dismiss that defeated initial and amended complaints
- Represented a national weight management company in securities fraud class action and shareholder derivative suits related to a restatement of the company’s financial statements due to accounting errors. All claims were dismissed on motion to dismiss with no leave to amend granted
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in mass tort litigation involving nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory pain medication. Managed drafting and coordination of motions to dismiss complaints filed in state court that obtained favorable rulings dismissing strict liability causes of action.
- Represented multiple electric transmission and generation companies in the mid-Atlantic region in CPCN (Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity) proceedings for the approval of new transmission line and generation development
- Represented two national energy companies in their contested application to obtain regulatory approval in Maryland for their $6.8 billion merger. Obtained approval of the merger in Maryland and defeated a motion to stay that approval pending appellate review
- Represented two national energy companies in their contested application to obtain regulatory approval in Maryland for their $7.9 billion merger. Obtained approval of the merger, which created the largest competitive energy provider in the United States.
- J.D. University of Maryland School of Law 2003
- B.A. Towson University 2000
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Professional Memberships :
- Member, board of directors, Disability Rights Maryland
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
Rate : $$$$