Christopher Breay has 24 years of experience in business and real estate litigation, as well as in advising businesses on the entire spectrum of operational issues, including contract negotiation, employment matters, intellectual property issues, and corporate governance.
His litigation practice has included extensive representation of financial institutions, including trustees of securitized loans and their servicers, in the defense of claims based on the increasing number of federal and state laws and regulations regarding mortgage lending and foreclosure activities.
Real Estate and Lending
- Currently defending financial institution against claims of trespass and request for extension of redemption period based on allegations that extensive damage to property caused by lender’s contractor economically prevented timely redemption [W.D. Mich.]
- Currently defending developer and management company against claims brought by lender in wake of foreclosure of commercial property based on allegations that rents were converted in violation of assignment of rents and additional funds owing to lender were fraudulently transferred [W.D. Mich.]
- Represented automotive supplier in suit to enjoin competitor from passing off goods of inferior quality as defendant’s and to discontinue infringement of plaintiff’s trademarks and copyright with respect to images of goods at issue. Details of resolution confidential [C.D. Cal. 2017]
- Currently defending company in class action for alleged violations of Fair Labor Standards Act and related state laws, including failure to comply with overtime and “straight time” pay requirements and retaliatory discharge for complaints about alleged violations [W.D. Mich.]
- Currently defending company in class action for injunction to restrain defendant from alleged violations of Fair Labor Standards Act and related state laws, including violations of overtime and “straight time” compensation requirements [W.D. Mich.]
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1994
- Albion College, A.B., magna cum laude, 1991
Bar Admission: Michigan, 1994
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2018
- United States District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2016
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit 2000
Rate : $$$$