Christopher J. Kaufman’ practice focuses primarily on complex civil litigation, including federal multidistrict litigation (MDL) and consolidated state court actions, with an emphasis on product liability issues involving pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers.
Chris has experience in all aspects of litigation, including motion practice, depositions, written discovery, corporate and expert witness development, and trial preparation. In this capacity he has experience in:
- Resolving claims prior to litigation
- Developing initial case assessments and strategies
- Crafting pre-discovery and pre-trial dispositive motions
- Preparing and producing corporate witnesses for deposition and trial
- Deposing plaintiffs, experts, and other key fact witnesses
- Daubert motion practice
- Negotiating favorable settlements
Chris has obtained favorable results for clients in state and federal court, particularly through pre-discovery dispositive motion practice based on federal preemption and other affirmative defenses.
He was also involved in the negotiation, coordination and oversight of a national medical device class action settlement in Canada.
Chris is a member of the firm’s Search Committee and active participant in the firm’s pro bono program, where he represents parents and children involved in legal proceedings in Missouri state court.
He also mentors junior associates, summer interns, and first-year law students at the University of Kansas.
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law, 2010
- Order of the Coif
- Kansas Law Review, Note and Comment Editor
- Intern for The Hon. Carlos Murguia, U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- Dean’s Fellow Student Mentor
- KU Law Student Ambassador
- B.S., University of Kansas, 2005 (Journalism)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- DRI Drug and Medical Device Committee
- Young Lawyers Vice Liaison
Rate : $$$$