Chris Helm practices general business and international law, with a focus on Asia–particularly on Japan, where he lived for 24 years–and works extensively on business immigration matters. He counsels foreign companies and individuals in structuring investments in manufacturing and other operations in the Pacific Northwest, and helps American clients entering Asian markets.
Chris provides immigration assistance, including visas and labor certifications, to executives, managers, researchers, and other professionals, and is a frequent speaker on immigration and employment sanction issues. He is past chair of the firm’s Pro Bono and Public Service Committee and the firm’s immigration practice group.
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP, New York, N.Y., 1988-1994; resident in the Tokyo office, 1990-1994
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate,1982-1987; U.S. Armed Forces, Korea, 1983-1985; Military Traffic Management Command, New Jersey, 1985-1987
Professional & Community Activities:
- Chair, DWT Immigration Practice Group, 2011-2015
- Chair, DWT Pro Bono and Public Service Committee, 2015-2017
- Director, 2006-2009, 2010-2013, 2014-2017; Japanese Language Grants Committee, 2006-present – Blakemore Foundation
- Director, 1998-present; Chair, 2003-2004; Chair-elect, 2002-2004; Secretary, 1999-2001 – Japan America Society of the State of Washington
- Director, 2015-present; Treasurer, 2016-present – One America (formerly Hate-Free Zone)
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law, 1981
- M.A., Education, Michigan State University, 1978
- B.A., English, Carleton College, 1974
Rate : $$$$