Claire M. Wheeler focuses her practice on trademark enforcement, copyright disputes, rights of publicity, and false advertising issues. She has been engaged in high-profile matters and is adept at managing the competing interests clients must balance during enforcement and litigation.
Claire has experience in a variety of industries, including consumer products, fashion and luxury goods, entertainment, and technology. Claire has assisted in the representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in litigation across the country.
She has broad knowledge and experience in civil discovery, including complex e-discovery, overseeing document review efforts, drafting and responding to written discovery requests, and taking and defending depositions.
She also has wide-ranging experience researching and drafting discovery and dispositive motions and memoranda. Claire regularly works with clients to develop intellectual property strategies to effectively establish their brands worldwide and to prevent brand dilution.
She has worked to recover substantial damages through anti-counterfeiting and brand protection enforcement campaigns, leading to the takedown, destruction, and/or elimination of numerous counterfeited or infringing products.
Claire also counsels clients concerning intellectual property licensing as it relates to trademarks and copyrights. She has assisted clients in the education industry with the review of publishing agreements and in clearing publications prior to launch. While in law school at William & Mary, Claire was a judicial intern for the Honorable Emmet G. Sullivan in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Claire was also selected to join the William & Mary Appellate & Supreme Court Clinic, where she co-wrote briefs in the 4th, 9th, and 11th Circuits. During undergraduate school, Claire was a member of the Harvard Women’s Division I Basketball Team, where she had the privilege of serving as captain.
- Defending a sports apparel company and high-profile talent against trademark infringement claims (D. Md, C.D. Cal., E.D.N.C., and Fourth Circuit)
- Assisting with the creation and management of trademark, trade dress, design patent, and copyright enforcement campaigns for multiple clients selling consumer products and luxury goods
- Resolving trademark disputes on behalf of a wide range of clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB)
- Pursuing and defending false advertising claims between two industry-leading competitors selling consumer products (D. Mass. and N.D. Ill.)
- J.D. cum laude William & Mary School of Law 2015
- B.A. Harvard University 2011
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Maryland
Rate : $$$