Clarence Risin is a shareholder in the Nashville office and concentrates his practice in the area of commercial litigation. Mr. Risin has particular experience in the areas of complex business litigation, financial services litigation, insurance and complex transportation litigation.
Mr. Risin defends cases brought against corporations in the areas of finance, insurance and transportation. He has defended business litigation claims alleging misrepresentation, predatory lending, fraud and identity theft, as well as those alleging violations of state and federal consumer protection statutes, including the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), claims of improper credit reporting and debt collection practices, alleged violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
Mr. Risin has also managed a multi-state commercial litigation campaign consisting of more than 300 lawsuits involving allegations of state and federal laws relating to the wrongful interruption of telecommunication services, interference with contractual relations, unfair competition and unjust enrichment.
Mr. Risin has defended transportation claims involving wrongful death claims and traumatic brain injury claims stemming from allegations of negligent hiring, retention and supervision, negligent entrustment and failure to maintain equipment properly.
- Southeastern Louisiana University, B.A., 1990
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., 1994
ADMISSIONS : Tennessee, 1994
- Successfully defended a finance company in a class action suit against alleged violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, relating to debt collection notices sent to customers.
- Defended a finance company in disputes regarding the alleged breach of a multimillion dollar Asset Purchase Agreement and the fulfillment of a transition services agreement.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a finance company, and dismissal of the action in its entirety, in a suit alleging damages as a result of the repossession of the plaintiff’s vehicle by an independent contractor.
- Obtained an injunction and ultimately a judgment on behalf of a nationwide franchisor against a franchisee for breach of franchise agreements and wrongful possession of inventory.
- Obtained jury verdicts on behalf of insurance companies involving coverage disputes, breach of contract claims and claims alleging extra contractual liability.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Voted a Top Attorney by his peers in CityView magazine (2009, 2010)
- Adjunct Professor – University of Tennessee College of Law
- Commissioner – Tennessee Human Rights Commission for the State of Tennessee (1999 – 2001)
- Board Member – Helen Ross McNabb Center (2003 – 2005)
- Member – Knoxville, Tennessee and American Bar Associations
- Member – Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association
Rate : $$$$