Clayton W. Coley focuses on representing public and privately held companies in regulated industries, including financial services, healthcare and technology. He has extensive experience in a variety of transactions, including representation of strategic and financial buyers in merger and acquisition and venture capital transactions, and related aspects of federal and state securities laws, including SEC filings, and he advises investors and early-stage companies seeking financing through private equity transactions.
Clayton also advises companies in venture capital, general corporate and operational matters, and on premerger notification filings with the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice.
- Represented the audit committee of the board of directors of a NYSE-listed multinational corporation in connection with an investigation requested by the external auditor in response to illegal acts in a foreign subsidiary. The investigation resulted in reforms to the company’s governance and compliance system and controls.
- Represented a biotech research company in numerous merger and acquisition transactions and collaboration arrangements, including the sale of a product division to a medical device company, an exclusive collaboration and license agreement with a biotechnology company, and the sale of a business unit to a foreign purchaser.
- Represented a Canadian software company in numerous merger and acquisition transactions regarding private and public targets, including acquisition of a fax software company and acquisition of a Texas-based software company.
- Atlanta Bar Association, Business and Finance Section: Board Member
- Pro Bono Partnership of Atlanta: Advisor
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2004
- M.A., The University of Texas, 2001
- B.A., Queens College, 1997, summa cum laude
Admissions : Georgia
Rate : $$$