Clifford Stanford leads Alston & Bird’s Bank Regulatory Team, providing experienced advice and strategic counsel to U.S. and foreign banks and nonbank financial services companies on the full array of regulatory concerns affecting the banking, financial services, and payments industries. His areas of experience include:
- Complex regulatory requirements regarding investments in banks and bank M&A, enterprise risk management, capital and liquidity risk management, bank regulatory compliance programs, consumer protection, BSA/AML, and banking product design and approvals.
- Representation in examinations, applications and enforcement matters before the Federal Reserve, OCC, FDIC, CFPB, and state regulators.
- Compliance programs, examinations, licensing, product design and marketing and bank oversight issues affecting nonbank firms, including payments companies, retailers, nonbank lenders, and other companies contracting with banks.
During his 15-year tenure at the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Cliff served as assistant general counsel advising on banking regulation, payments law, commercial contracting, intellectual property, and employment law matters.
He was also the responsible officer for the Atlanta Fed’s bank applications and enforcement functions and was founding director of the Retail Payments Risk Forum. Cliff is a regular contributor to banking and payments industry publications and conferences.
- Georgia State University (J.D., 1995)
- Emory University (B.A., 1992)
Bar Admissions : Georgia
Memberships : State Bar of Georgia
Rate : $$$