Clifford S. Sikora is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Troutman Sanders. Over his 20-year career with the firm, Cliff has solely worked with clients in the energy industry, concentrating in electricity industry matters.
He has represented a wide array of business interests within the electricity sector, including vertically-integrated utilities, energy project development companies (fossil generation, renewable generation, hydropower, transmission and storage), banks, private equity investors, energy technology companies, and EPC contractors.
Cliff has acted as first-chair in high-profile regulatory litigation and filings before the FERC, and has lead deal teams in the energy space (most notably, in transactions economically dependent on regulated rates and/or managed-market commodity pricing).
Mr. Sikora has also developed a unique specialization in strategic business counseling for entities in the electric industry, based on a wide array of experience representing clients in the context of various combinations of state/ federal regulatory and market climates.
He works with clients to develop unique solutions and concrete plans for overcoming their most challenging competitive and regulatory obstacles.
Representative Matters :
- Microgrids: Represent utility regarding development of microgrid (including solar, CHP, storage, etc.) in conjunction with commercial real estate development entities.
- Batteries & Storage: Represent several utilities and other interests regarding development and deployment of grid-scale battery resources and behind-the-meter storage solutions.
- Power Contract Litigation: Obtained favorable ALJ decision after trial-type hearing in FERC case regarding rates, terms and conditions of sales contract between client-seller and wholesale buyer/behind-the-meter generator.
- Enforcement & Corporate Compliance: Experience representing clients before the FERC Office of Enforcement. Worked with several utility clients to develop top-to-bottom compliance, reporting, monitoring and training programs consistent with best practices and board reporting obligations.
Professional Experience :
- Counsel, United States Senate, Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, June 1995-September 1996
- Legal Advisor, Commissioner Donald F. Santa, Jr., Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, May 1993-June 1995
- Supervisory Attorney, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Office of the General
- Counsel, Department of Electric Rates and Corporate Regulation, January 1991-May 1993
- Advisory Attorney, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Office of the General Counsel, Department of Electric Rates and Corporate Regulation August 1989-January 1991
- University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., 1989
- University of Delaware, M.P.A., 1986
- Cornell University, B.S., 1984
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia
Rate : $$$