Colin T. Kemp is the head of Pillsbury’s San Francisco Litigation group. He combines pragmatism, charisma and dedication to deliver record verdicts in state and federal court insurance, IP and commercial cases.
A persuasive and successful trial lawyer, Colin captures the respect of clients and jurors alike. Indeed, after the Victaulic trial described below, jurors praised his “mad skills” and called him simply, “the killer.”
He represents product manufacturers and other policyholders in coverage and product defect litigation, and a broad spectrum of life sciences and other technology companies in a variety of competition-related disputes, including hard and soft IP, trade secret and unfair competition cases.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Delivered $55 million jury verdict victory for Victaulic Co. in an insurance coverage battle against three AIG companies seeking CGL coverage for case involving breach of contract, bad faith and punitive damages claims.
- Delivered defense jury verdict on all significant claims to Ralphs Grocery Co. in trademark, trade dress and copyright infringement actions concerning women’s handbags.
- Delivered successful settlement during jury trial to KingKong LLC in patent infringement trial—settlement agreed upon after jury reached verdict, but before verdict was actually read/entered/recorded.
- Defended Winery Exchange against an action alleging trademark infringement in connection with the look and feel of Heineken’s allegedly unique beer label; action resolved prior to trial.
- Represented KingKong in patent infringement suit concerning automated massage chairs in a jury trial. Matter settled after KingKong presented overwhelming case of invalidity but just before jury announced verdict.
- Represented Victaulic in the bench trial in which the judge ruled that several units of insurer AIG have a duty to defend Victaulic in underlying product liability suits.
- Secured $55.3 million for breach of contract, bad faith and punitive damages in two successive jury verdicts, including more than $8 million in attorney’s fees and $46 million in punitive damages for Victaulic.
Associations : Board Member, Justice & Diversity Center of The Bar Association of San Francisco
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2001
- B.S., Double Major in Biology (with a focus on Molecular Biology and Chemistry) and Philosophy, Lewis & Clark College, 1996
ADMISSIONS : California
Rate : $$$$