Colin B. Vandell is a trusted adviser to clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups, nonprofit organizations, and high-net-worth individuals. Colin’s trial and arbitration practice focuses on complex civil litigation, including commercial, intellectual property, mass tort, consumer protection, and trust and estate disputes.
These matters span a variety of industries, with an emphasis on entertainment and media, real estate, hospitality, and consumer products. Colin’s significant experience and his commonsense approach to litigation have yielded success for both plaintiff and defendant clients, from courtroom victories to high-stakes negotiated resolutions.
By charting a comprehensive and aggressive strategy from the outset, and working closely with clients at each step of the litigation process, Colin has repeatedly demonstrated that lawsuits may be pursued and resolved efficiently and effectively.
- Represented a production company in a breach of contract and business tort dispute involving financing, production, and distribution of a sci-fi television series. Successfully enabled series to be completed on expanded scale
- Represented a renowned musician and his business entities in a breach of contract and business tort dispute initiated by a former business partner. Removed action to federal court and obtained stay pending international arbitration, leading to expedited resolution
- Represented a multinational health and fitness company in a California right of publicity action involving a model’s claims of unlicensed use of her image via product packaging and advertisements. Favorably resolved matter subsequent to plaintiff’s deposition
- Represented a leading online music services provider in multiple copyright lawsuits filed by songwriters regarding Top 40 songs. Obtained dismissal, settlement, and/or indemnification in each matter
- Represents a charitable foundation in a multi-jurisdictional probate dispute involving a $500 million+ estate, breach of fiduciary duty allegations, and coordination with government entities
- Represents a real estate development company in a breach of contract and fraudulent concealment action against the seller of a 1,600-plus acre undeveloped property in Ventura County, California.
- Represented an international fashion label in lease dispute regarding a flagship store in Beverly Hills. Successfully procured termination of lease
- Represented a Fortune 100 home products retailer against environmental and false advertising allegations arising from the marketing and sale of paint products, resulting in negotiated dismissal of claims.
- J.D. University of Virginia School of Law 2005
- B.A. summa cum laude Rice University 2002
Bar Admissions : California, District of Columbia
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Professional Memberships :
- Member, Venable Hiring Committee
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Member, Legal Council, The Williams Institute, UCLA School of Law
Rate : $$$$